History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Paul

A Grade II Listed Building in Culham, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6513 / 51°39'4"N

Longitude: -1.2761 / 1°16'33"W

OS Eastings: 450180

OS Northings: 194972

OS Grid: SU501949

Mapcode National: GBR 7YY.G5P

Mapcode Global: VHCY6.TRRG

Entry Name: Church of St Paul

Listing Date: 18 July 1963

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1059792

English Heritage Legacy ID: 248822

Location: Culham, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX14

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Culham

Built-Up Area: Culham

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Culham

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Culham

Listing Text

CULHAM THE GREEN
SU5094 (South side)
12/37 Church of St. Paul
18/07/63

GV II

Church. Tower c.1710; nave, aisles and south transept c.1852 by Joseph Clarke;
chancel c.1872 by R.P. Spiers. Uncoursed stone rubble to tower; squared coursed
stone to church with ashlar stone dressings; old plain-tile roof; roof of tower
not visible. 4-bay nave and north aisle, south transept, chancel and west tower.
Early English style. 2-centred archway with hood mould and triangular moulded
surround to porch to left of centre of nave. Double plank doors with wrought
iron hinges to 2-centre arched doorway. 2-light plate tracery and trefoil lancet
windows. Doorway with plank door to base of tower; tower of 2 stages. Louvred
opening to each side of top of tower. Plain parapet to tower with stepped
corners. Interior: wooden barrel-vault to chancel, 4-bay arch-braced collar
truss roof to nave. C19 stencil decoration to chancel walls. Piscina to right of
chancel. 2-centred chancel arch on half-columns. 2-centred transept arch on
corbels. Aisle arcade of three 2-centred arches on columns. C19 pews with
wrought iron candelabra to ends. C19 octagonal stone font with pierced wood
cover.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1974, p.565; V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.7,
1962, p.37).


Listing NGR: SU5018094972

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.