History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dovecote Approximately 75 Metres West of Culham Manor

A Grade II* Listed Building in Culham, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6505 / 51°39'1"N

Longitude: -1.2774 / 1°16'38"W

OS Eastings: 450086

OS Northings: 194882

OS Grid: SU500948

Mapcode National: GBR 7YY.FVS

Mapcode Global: VHCY6.TS02

Entry Name: Dovecote Approximately 75 Metres West of Culham Manor

Listing Date: 18 July 1963

Last Amended: 16 March 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1059793

English Heritage Legacy ID: 248824

Location: Culham, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX14

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Culham

Built-Up Area: Culham

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Culham

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Culham

Listing Text

CULHAM THE GREEN
SU5094 (South side)
12/3918/07/65 Dovecote approx. 75m. W of
Culham Manor
(Formerly listed as dovecote
60 yards W of Culham Manor)

_ II*

Dovecote. Datestone, above door, inscribed "C.B,1685". Built for Sir Cecil
Bisshopp (or Bishop). Coursed stone rubble plinth with brick coping; coursed
stone rubble with brick dressings; old plain-tile roof; 2 timber-framed glovers
with gabled old plain-tile roofs on ridge, to left and right of centre,
Rectangular 2-cell plan. 2-storey, 2 bay range. Central plank door with brick
surround and brick hood mould. Brick string course below eaves. 2 openings to
central cross-gable, and to opposing cross-gable to rear. Segmental-arched
opening to each end. Interior: complex timber-framed roof structure. 2 cells
lined with 3,329 brick nesting boxes. Reputed to be the second largest dovecote
in England.
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.7, 1962, p.29; Country Life, Vol.108, 1950, July 14th,
p.133).


Listing NGR: SU5008694882

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.