History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ashbrittle, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9838 / 50°59'1"N

Longitude: -3.3519 / 3°21'6"W

OS Eastings: 305202

OS Northings: 121358

OS Grid: ST052213

Mapcode National: GBR LP.LBNF

Mapcode Global: FRA 36WH.S14

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 25 January 1956

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1059880

English Heritage Legacy ID: 270076

Location: Ashbrittle, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA21

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane

Civil Parish: Ashbrittle

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Stawley

Listing Text

ST02SE ASHBRITTLE CP

6/1 Church of St John the
Baptist
25.1.56

GV II*

Church. C15. North aisle, tower and chancel rebuilt, nave restored circa 1874.
Random rubble red sandstone with Ham stone dressings, tiled roofs circa 1970
over nave, late C19 over chancel. 3-bay nave with North aisle and Lady chapel,
the nave and chancel of earlier church, South porch, West tower. 3-stage tower,
crenellated parapet, offset buttresses, stair turret. South side chancel 2-light
windows flanking pointed arch doorway, large 6-light Perpendicular window divided
into two 3-light sub arches East of porch, elsewhere 3-light Perpendicular.
Annex on North aisle, rood loft stairs projection North aisle. Gabled C19 South
porch. Interior: rendered. 3-bay aisle, capitals with leaf bands, depressed
pointed arches. Pulpit painted stone crocketed decoration on 3-sided body
supported by a column, approached by stairs with handrail, imported from Barnstaple.
Windows in Lady chapel, late C19 unusual in that they include portraits of the
donors and dedicatees. The church restoration of 1874 was paid for by the
incumbent, Rev. Charles Penrose Quicke.


Listing NGR: ST0520221358

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.