This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0142 / 51°0'51"N
Longitude: -3.1029 / 3°6'10"W
OS Eastings: 322726
OS Northings: 124452
OS Grid: ST227244
Mapcode National: GBR M1.JFPZ
Mapcode Global: FRA 46DF.LYN
Entry Name: No. 15 Fore Street and cottage at rear
Listing Date: 4 June 1952
Last Amended: 4 July 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1060025
English Heritage Legacy ID: 269730
Location: Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA1
District: Taunton Deane
Town: Taunton Deane
District Council Ward: Taunton Manor and Wilton
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 01/06/2015
ST 2224 SE 11/253
FORE STREET (South Side),
No. 15 and cottage at rear
(Formerly listed as No 15 (Tudor-Tavern) [Formerly listed as No 15 (Tudor-House Restaurant)] and The Cottage at rear of No 15)
Taunton's famous "Ancient House", formerly Halliday's Shop. Said to have been the town house of the Portmans. Overhanging 3 storey timbered front dated 1578 with initials TT and IT. Very high red tiled roof, the upper part of the gable breaking forward above the 2nd floor oriel, and 2nd floor jettied also. Carved bressumers and bargeboards with pendant, curved braces in studding. 8-light oriel to 2nd floor. 1st floor has 9-light oriel with additional lights at sides making a continuous 17-light window. All windows are mullioned and transomed and have leaded lights. Beading and billet motifs to ground floor fascia over modern shop fronts. Pointed stone arch to entry on left hand side, original wooden door. Wrought iron ornamental bracket for bell. Behind the late C16 front survives a late medieval hall with open trussed roof and arched braces. Interior is considerably restored.
The rear wing, previously listed as 'The Cottage', is part of the same property. Probably originally the servants' quarters etc. Approached through the arched entry at side of No 15 and along a picturesque narrow court. 2 storeys. Timber framed, with 1st floor jettied. Ground floor is now one long room used as a bar: continuous mullioned window along one side, partly renewed. Old fireplace opening. Both interior and exterior have been much restored.
No 1A Billet Street, No 66 The County Hotel, the Brendon Bar and No 8 East Street, form an important group with the listed buildings in Cheapside, Fore Street and the Parade.
Listing NGR: ST2272624452
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings