History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Durborough Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Spaxton, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1092 / 51°6'33"N

Longitude: -3.1632 / 3°9'47"W

OS Eastings: 318664

OS Northings: 135077

OS Grid: ST186350

Mapcode National: GBR LY.BJF7

Mapcode Global: VH6H5.4D21

Entry Name: Durborough Farmhouse

Listing Date: 7 April 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1060151

English Heritage Legacy ID: 269429

Location: Spaxton, Sedgemoor, Somerset, TA5

County: Somerset

District: Sedgemoor

Civil Parish: Spaxton

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
West Bagborough

Listing Text

ST 13 NE SPAXTON AISHOLT

1/135 Durborough Farmhouse

II

Farmhouse. Early Cl7 with later C17/C18 and C19 additions and alterations,
and C20 alterations. Rubble ragstone, Welsh slate roof. T-shaped plan, the
early Cl7 cell to rear of front range, of which the right-hand part is a C19
addition. 2 storeys, front range with 4 lst-flooiwindows and narrow bay set
back on left. Windows throughout are early-mid C20, small-pane, metal casements
below wood lintels except for an earlier small-pane casement window with diamond-
set mullions, iron saddle bars and lead cames to 1st floor of rear cell and
similar window to 1st floor of left return of main range. Garden front: C20
glazed door in added hipped-roofed porch on pillars; 5 windows to ground floor,
4 above; raised verge with ashlar coping to left end; old brick stacks to left
and between 3rd and 4th 1st-floor windows (formerly an end stack). Rear: early
Cl7 cell has brick gable stack, top rebuilt; added single-storey dairy on left;
C20 link to converted outbuilding, neither the link or outbuilding of special
interest.
Interior: early-Cl7 cell on ground floor has wall panelling with fluted frieze,
fireplace with chamfered surround and deep, chamfered, timber lintel, and
compartmental ceiling, the beams with deep chamfers. The roof has principal
rafters with halved collars, square-section ridge-piece, roughly-hewn square-
section rafters and tusk-tenoned purlins. The front, right, room (formerly
a cider room) has window in rear wall (into dairy) with diamond-set wood mullions.
In the left-hand section on ground floor, chamfered cross-beams with lambs
tongue stops. The main interest of the building lies in the surviving early-Cl7
features.


Listing NGR: ST1866435077

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.