This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0947 / 51°5'40"N
Longitude: -3.0752 / 3°4'30"W
OS Eastings: 324799
OS Northings: 133369
OS Grid: ST247333
Mapcode National: GBR M2.C8QM
Mapcode Global: FRA 46F7.CRJ
Entry Name: Patcombe Farmhouse Including Chimney Stack Adjoining South East
Listing Date: 27 July 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1060152
English Heritage Legacy ID: 269430
Location: Broomfield, Sedgemoor, Somerset, TA5
Civil Parish: Broomfield
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
The following buildings shall be added to the list
ST 23 SW BROOMFIELD
including chimney stack
GV adjoining south east
Bailiffs house in landscaped park. Probably 1771 by John Johnson for
Sir Charles Kemeys Tynte of Halswell House, Goathurst(qv) Red brick in
Flemish bond. Pantile hipped roof.
Plan: Symmetrical 2-room rectangular plan classical style building with a
central stack at the front of which is an integral colonaded portico giving
individual access to each room. The 2 rooms also have doorways at the back
giving into a lobby with a back door and a staircase behind the central stack.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 3-bay north front with a brick modillion
eaves cornice and string with 2 brick console brackets either side of a small
central pedimented gable with a circular window. Central stone portico in
form of a bowed Roman Doric colonade flanked by windows in large round headed
recess with a stringcourse at impost level. The stringcourse continues on the
right hand return at impost level of the 3-bay blind arcade which has a
rectangular panel above each arch and a window in the centre. The modillion
eaves cornice continues around the west side and at the rear (South) but the
east side facing the bank is plain. There is a length of brick retaining wall
adjoining at the back built into which is a stack with 3 flues and a large
symmetrical arch fireplace (outside the house).
Interior: Farm animals have had access to the interior, the doors and
chimneypieces are missing, the balustrade to the winder staircase has gone but
the door frames and some of the panelled window shutters remain as well as the
Historical note: Patcombe Farmhouse was built as the bailiffs house, was part
of Sir Charles Kemeys Tynte's landscaping of Halswell and might have been the
"Temple of Pan in the Gardens of Sir Charles Kemeys ... at Halswell" exhibited
by John Johnson at the Society of Artists in 1778.
Source: Gervase Jackson-Stops, Country Life, 9th February 1989.
Listing NGR: ST2479933368
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings