This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1517 / 51°9'6"N
Longitude: -2.9429 / 2°56'34"W
OS Eastings: 334146
OS Northings: 139586
OS Grid: ST341395
Mapcode National: GBR M8.7L8F
Mapcode Global: VH7DJ.Y91X
Entry Name: Church of St Michael and All Angels
Listing Date: 29 March 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1060158
English Heritage Legacy ID: 269444
Location: Bawdrip, Sedgemoor, Somerset, TA7
Civil Parish: Bawdrip
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
BANDRIP CP CHURCH ROAD (West side)
Church of St Michael and All
Anglican parish church. Predominantly late C13 early C14, extensively restored
1866. Squared, and coursed and squared rubble, rough-dressed quoins, tile
roofs, crested ridges, coped verges, cruciform finials. Decorated and
neo-Decorated style. Nave, chancel, crossing tower, north and south transepts,
south porch, small C19 lean-to vestry by the porch. The tower plain and
unbuttressed, embattled, string at bell-chamber stage and below the parapet,
gargoyles; single light bell chamber windows with louvres, below 2 blocked
2-light windows with tracery and 2 single light openings with foiled heads,
each with leaded lights; clock. Two bay nave, 2-bay chancel, single bay
transepts, windows with curvilinear tracery, much renewed, labels with carved
heads as stops. Square head 3-light north and south windows to chancel as well
as the 3-light pointed head east window are Perpendicular. Gabled porch,
benched interior on a flagstone floor. Interior scraped on flagstone floors.
C19 roofs. The crossing with arches of 2 orders supported by corbels carved
as heads, these in turn supported on massive lias piers pierced by squints
to chancel and through way between nave and north transept; above a cantilevered
stone staircase which gives access to ringing chamber reached by an external
doorway. Chancel with aumbry, sedila, and piscina; piscinae to transepts, that
to south particularly fine. C17 coffin stool. C18 chair. Cl9 pulpit, pews,
font, organ and stone reredos. North transept with recumbent effigy of Sir
Simon de Bradney, in armour, obit. 1375, foiled canopy with pierced cusping
and 4 carved heads. C17 memorial behind the altar with Latin text. Five late
C18 early C19 wall monuments. C19 and early C20 stained glass. Four early bells.
(Faculty deposited SRO pertaining to 1866 restoration; Church Guide).
Listing NGR: ST3414639586
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings