History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael

A Grade II Listed Building in North Petherton, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0651 / 51°3'54"N

Longitude: -2.9974 / 2°59'50"W

OS Eastings: 330204

OS Northings: 129999

OS Grid: ST302299

Mapcode National: GBR M5.F4G6

Mapcode Global: FRA 46M9.L29

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 29 March 1963

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1060173

English Heritage Legacy ID: 269370

Location: North Petherton, Sedgemoor, Somerset, TA7

County: Somerset

District: Sedgemoor

Civil Parish: North Petherton

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
North Newton

Listing Text

NORTH PETHERTON CP
ST32NW
ST33SW
8/108
10/108

ST. MICHAEL CHURCH

Church of St. Michael

29.3.63

II

Anglican church. Norman establishment; C15; some C18 work; restored and extended 1868 for Slade family of Maunsel House (qv). Random rubble, freestone dressings, buttresses, tile and slate roofs, crested ridges. Nave with continuous chancel, narrow North and South aisles, squat North tower porch at West end of aisle. Perpendicular; C19 work in Early English style. Tower with pyramidal roof, slit windows under eaves; North doorway, paired panelled doors. Perpendicular three-light East and West windows, the former square-headed, the latter pointed headed; remainder of openings lancets. Plastered interior on tile floors; no chancel arch, continuous plastered wagon roof to nave and chancel; North and South aisles with two by arcades.

Octagonal C15 font. Many memorials to Slade family, particularly three of early C19 to North aisle. Fittings including, pews, altar table, lectern, reredos and organ, post the restoration. Mid C19 stained glass to East window and South aisle. C17 monument and C19 charity plaque under tower. Bell dated 1670. (VCH forthcoming).

This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 16 March 2017.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.