This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7596 / 52°45'34"N
Longitude: -1.9428 / 1°56'34"W
OS Eastings: 403955
OS Northings: 317996
OS Grid: SK039179
Mapcode National: GBR 3B6.TYK
Mapcode Global: WHBF3.4W3T
Entry Name: Grotto at Former Hagley Hall (Ngr0395 1800)
Listing Date: 5 July 1972
Last Amended: 16 April 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1060215
English Heritage Legacy ID: 271276
Location: Rugeley, Cannock Chase, Staffordshire, WS15
District: Cannock Chase
Civil Parish: Rugeley
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Brereton and Rugeley
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
The following building shall be added:
SK 01 NW RUGELEY HAGLEY HALL
3/58 Grotto at Former
Hagley Hall (NGR0395 1800)
Grotto. Circa late C18. Carved from red sandstone bedrock with
seams of gravel. A series of interconnected underground chambers.
A plain roughcast arched portal in a steep bank, leads to an
aisled antechurch with groin vaults, at the end of which is a
rotunda (a circular chamber) with a colonnade of 6 Tuscan columns
with plain capitals and abaci supporting an entablature and saucer
shaped dome. At north end of antechurch a vaulted passage turns
north, with small saucer-shaped dome over corner, into antechamber
with arcaded walls, cornice and hipped ceiling. From the ante-
chamber a tunnel-vaulted passage to the basilica with 3-bay aisle
arcades with large square piers, plain capitals and round arches
and groin vaults to nave and aisles. At north (liturgical east)
end of nave a round-headed apse (large niche) with pedestal-type
alter. From the antechamber an inclined passage leads up to the
Note: James Wyatt designed an octagonal drawing room in 1771 for
Assheton Curzon of Hagley Hall (house demolished circa 1932).
Source: H. Colvin. Biographical Dictionary of British Architects
1600 - 1840.
Listing NGR: SK0395517996
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings