This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0251 / 51°1'30"N
Longitude: -3.3983 / 3°23'53"W
OS Eastings: 302029
OS Northings: 126011
OS Grid: ST020260
Mapcode National: GBR LM.HQX4
Mapcode Global: FRA 36RD.RX9
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 25 January 1956
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1060255
English Heritage Legacy ID: 271163
Location: Chipstable, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA4
District: Taunton Deane
Civil Parish: Chipstable
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
1/10 Church of St Michael
Parish curch. Tower possibly C13, nave C14, chancel C15, restoration of tower dated 1675,
chancel reroofed C19, church restored and tower rendered late C20. Thin bedded local slate
stone, part rendered, rendered north face of nave and tower, slate roofs, remains of
crenellations to nave. West tower, nave south porch, chancel with rood stair projection.
Two stage tower with remains of crenellations, single light louvred bell-opening, 2-light C16
west window, date stone on south face initialled TY/WAR/LH 1675; single storey gabled C19
porch with applied half timbering to apex, inner doorway very fine moulded pointed arch C14
doorframe with slightly ogee head and early dour with C14 hinges and back plate, 2-light
square healed cusped window to right, projection of former rood stair with 2-light wooden
casement and decorative iron strap masking end of inserted tie to rood screen, similar on
north front, chancel windows all with ferramenta, C15 windows flanking priests door with moulded
depressed 4-centred arch head 3-light east window with hoodmould, 3-light window north front and
c1500 3-light window to nave. interior rendered with evidence of wall paintings beneath plaster
in nave. Nave with barrel wagon roof, bosses at intersections, C19 wagon roof with bosses to
clancel. Tower arch pointed, straight sided with double chamfer rising iron imposts.
Substantial remains of late medieval screen, 4 and half bays with cresting and inserted
section below masking tie, rare survival of plastered tympanum above in entrance Stone slate
with good lettering reset by jamb of chancel north window, inscribed to Mrs Susan Hammall
(or hammatt) died 1707, and other members of the family. Reading desk dated 1713, Royal Coat
of Arms painted on wood 1852. A remarkable survival of a largely unaltered medieval church.
The church became a chapelry in 1971.(VCH Somerset, Vol 5, 1985).
Listing NGR: ST0202626013
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings