This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9593 / 50°57'33"N
Longitude: -3.0493 / 3°2'57"W
OS Eastings: 326400
OS Northings: 118291
OS Grid: ST264182
Mapcode National: GBR M3.MWV9
Mapcode Global: FRA 46HK.XJ5
Entry Name: Almshouses
Listing Date: 25 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1060273
English Heritage Legacy ID: 271105
Location: Staple Fitzpaine, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA3
District: Taunton Deane
Civil Parish: Staple Fitzpaine
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST21NE STAPLE FITZPAINE CP
STAPLE FITZPAINE VILLAGE
Almshouse. Dated 1643, restored 1970 when altered internally and new windows
in similar style to front inserted on rear elevation. Donated by Sir William Portman, restored by Mr Clementoy. Squared and coursed blue lias, rendered
rear elevation, Ham stone dressings, slate roofs, coped verges, gable ends
and between first and second bays left and right.
Plan: formerly 4 rooms on each floor opening off corridor along rear
elevation, dogleg stairs at either end, now four 2-room flats, 2 on each
floor, central stair inserted in entrance hall. One and a half storeys, 4
bays, all 3-light hollow chamfered stone mullioned windows on facade, in
upper storey rising from eaves set in gabled dormers with coped verges and
hood moulds, string course with ground floor windows set below, 2 either
side of central door with plaque above 'Founded by Sir William Portman 1643, Restored 1973', C19 door with decorative hinges, coeval lean-to on right
return, reroofed and extended with string course continued, square headed
doorway with chamfered architrave and stops, C17 door; lean-to on left
return rebuilt. Three gabled dormers on rear elevation looking towards
churchyard of St Peters Church (qv).
Interior not sighted, said to contain original post and panel partitions and
roof trusses. The almshouses was originally founded to provide shelter for
'6 poor people'. (Photograph in NMR Almshouse Gazette No 75, 1970; Sixsmith, Staple Fitzpaine and the Forest of Neroche, 1958).
Listing NGR: ST2640018291
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings