This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9773 / 50°58'38"N
Longitude: -3.1258 / 3°7'33"W
OS Eastings: 321056
OS Northings: 120364
OS Grid: ST210203
Mapcode National: GBR M0.LMX8
Mapcode Global: FRA 46BJ.J1P
Entry Name: Congregational Chapel
Listing Date: 25 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1060294
English Heritage Legacy ID: 271056
Location: Pitminster, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA3
District: Taunton Deane
Civil Parish: Pitminster
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
6/110 Congregational Chapel
Congregational chapel, now disused. Circa 1820, paid for by Thomas Welman of Poundisford
Park (qv) Render grooved as ashlar over rubble and brick, quoins and plinth, steeply
pitched hipped slate roof behind parapet with moulded cornice on facade, brick dentil
cornice on returns. Plan: rectangular, entered on west front, south-east vestry in
process of demolition at time of survey (March 1985). West front: 2 storeys, 2 bays;
recessed semi-circular headed window openings (boarded up), flat surrounds and sills
supported on console brackets, ground floor 2 wooden open pedimented Tuscan
Doric doorcases with stone columns, leaded fanlights, flush panelled double doors. North
front: 3 bays, first floor semi-circular headed 8-pane sash windows, ground floor
12-pane; east end 2 square headed windows containing stained glass flanking chimney;
south front inserted doorway in south-east corner on side of entrance to former vestry.
Interior not seen, said to contain timber lined roof. In poor condition at time of survey.
The Annual Report of the Somerset Congregationalist Union 1896 states that at Fulwood
"the present cause dates from 1732" and that Mr Thomas Welman paid for the building.
He died in 1827 having been a member of the Countess of Huntingdon's Connection.
(Photograph in NMR).
Listing NGR: ST2105620364
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings