This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.976 / 50°58'33"N
Longitude: -3.1085 / 3°6'30"W
OS Eastings: 322270
OS Northings: 120202
OS Grid: ST222202
Mapcode National: GBR M1.LSBJ
Mapcode Global: FRA 46CJ.QS5
Entry Name: Poundisford Park
Listing Date: 25 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1060307
English Heritage Legacy ID: 271086
Location: Pitminster, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA3
District: Taunton Deane
Civil Parish: Pitminster
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Manor house, former detached kitchen now part of service courtyard, stable range.
House and kitchen c1550 for William Hill, dining room wing added c1693, stable,
coach house and barn dated 1717, service wing 1825. Roughcast over rubble, rubble plinth,
exposed quoins, slate roofs, coped verges, ashlar stone stacks gable ends and centre.
H-plan with entrance now on south front, north-east dining room wing, south-east service
wing extending east to form south side of service courtyard, stable range east and
former kitchen west. South front: 2 and a half storeys, all Tudor arch head
hollow chamfered mullioned windows under hoodmoulds, irregular C19 fenestration gable
ends, 3-bay centre, left gable end 2 single light windows under hoodmoulds, left one
blocked, centre 3-light gabled windows flanking central rebuilt wall stack above
quatrefoil pierced parapet, right gable single light, first floor centre 3-light windows
flanking irregularly placed lancet and stair light, crested lead guttering and fine rain
water head centre below gargoyle emptying into lead rainwater cistern dated 1671, left
gable end unlit, centre 3-light window left, right Tudor arch head doorway with
decorative spandrels to internal porch, moulded inner doorway: single bay re-entrant
angle, right, left lit on each floor but originally 2-bay, now with blocked original
windows on each floor and Tudor arch head doorway with C16 door, North front diagonal
buttresses and 3-bay dining room with 12-pane sash windows, Interior:
outstanding collection of original features and fittings. Screens passage with unusual
turned baluster columns reminiscent of the window mullions at Cothelstone (qv),
hexagonal lantern inserted and C17 doorways with coved cornice to closed gallery above
with mullioned window. Ribbed plasterwork ceiling to hall with pendants and frieze, plasterwork
Royal Coat of Arms at dais end, fine collection of late C16 and mid-late C17 plasterwork ceilings
and cornices throughout house. C16 panelling to hall, moulded surrounds to fireplace and
opening to stair turret adjoining, and oriels. C18 panelling in dining room with coeval
cornice and chimney piece. Former detached kitchen, subsequently laundry, now restaurant;
large bressumer beam to fireplace, partially cut and with inserted bread oven. Barn abutting
converted to dwelling with stable and coach house range returned on east front dated 1717 in
south gable end, The Hill family who built this house also were responsible for Poundisford Lodge
lqv) to the north, both were built within the confines of Poundisford deer park that belonged to
the episcopal castle of Taunton until the Dissolution.
(Photographs in (Xii Country Life, June 17, 1916; August 4 and 11, 1934).
Listing NGR: ST2227020202
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings