History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chipley Park and Wall Abutting South East Corner with Gatepier

A Grade II Listed Building in Nynehead, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0064 / 51°0'22"N

Longitude: -3.2601 / 3°15'36"W

OS Eastings: 311685

OS Northings: 123754

OS Grid: ST116237

Mapcode National: GBR LT.JXKG

Mapcode Global: FRA 461G.CQ0

Entry Name: Chipley Park and Wall Abutting South East Corner with Gatepier

Listing Date: 25 January 1956

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1060314

English Heritage Legacy ID: 271003

Location: Nynehead, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA21

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane

Civil Parish: Nynehead

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Church of England Parish: Nynehead

Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells

Find accommodation in
Milverton

Listing Text

NYNEHEAD CP
ST12SW CHIPLEY PARK
4/61 Chipley Park and wall abutting
south-east corner with gatepier
25.1.56
GV II
Stables of Chipley Park, (original house demolished), now dwelling. Late C17-early C18,
converted to dwelling C20. Red brick, Flemish bond, red sandstone random rubble plinth,
moulded ashlar dado, flat brick continuous string course, hipped slate roofs, coped
verges to gables, brick stacks in end 2 bays left, and rising from eaves right. Plan:
stable range facing south, originally entered on north front, rebuilt and extended C20
with detached carriageway east end linked by C20 brick gallery, wall with gatepiers
at south-east corner. One and a half storeys, 2 gabled bays left,5-bay centre, gabled
end bay right, first floor corridor linking one bay beyond gabled dormers centre, early
C18 leaded in second gable end left, loft door with C20 window centre end bay left,
three C20 casements flanking central inserted doorway with keystone and half glazed C20
door; end bay right partly rebuilt, blocked gable end opening, window opening left,
extensively rebuilt in C20 at rear. Interior not seen. Red brick, Flemish bond wall with
clay tile coping about 20m in length swept down to square gatepier, moulded brick cap
plinth and bell finial,semi-circular headed doorway to walled garden, hood mould
additions with imported face terminal of king and queen. The original house abutted to
the south-west with the walled garden (qv) behind. The 1840 tithe map shows that the
east front was enclosed by walls with gatepiers of which the above remains. The house
was probably built by Edward Clarke, a friend of the philosopher John Locke, at it
descended by marriage to the Sandfords of Nynehead Court (qv). The house was apparently
demolished in the late C19. It does not appear in Escott's photograph of the present
house c1910.(Escott, Somerset: Historical, Descriptive, 1910)


Listing NGR: ST1168523754

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.