History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bridge over River Tone at Ngr St 1378 2234

A Grade II Listed Building in Nynehead, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.994 / 50°59'38"N

Longitude: -3.2299 / 3°13'47"W

OS Eastings: 313780

OS Northings: 122340

OS Grid: ST137223

Mapcode National: GBR LV.KRJZ

Mapcode Global: FRA 463H.5H8

Entry Name: Bridge over River Tone at Ngr St 1378 2234

Listing Date: 25 January 1956

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1060317

English Heritage Legacy ID: 271006

Location: Nynehead, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA21

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane

Civil Parish: Nynehead

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Church of England Parish: Nynehead

Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells

Find accommodation in
Wellington

Listing Text

NYNEHEAD CP NYNEHEAD VILLAGE
ST12SW
NYNEHEAD VILLAGE
4/64 Bridge over River Tone at NGR ST
1378 2234
II
Former road bridge over River Tone on drive to Nynehead Court (qv), now disused. Dated
1817. By Thomas Lee for W A Sandford. Brick faced with grey Knapp sandstone, ashlar
coursed with V joints giving strong vertical emphasis,voussoirs, strongly moulded string
course, parapet of large dressed blocks rising from string course with chamfered
tops. Plan: 3 arch span, shallow elliptical arches, cutwaters both sides but mostly
submerged in mud, square piers abutting, topped with small square plinths that probably
carried sole sculptural decoration when erected. Soffit of central arch with inserted
York stone slab inscribed "W A Sandford 1817", soffit of south arch plain, north not
visible from bank, North-west pier damaged, north-east pier obscured by ivy at time
of survey (February 1985), string course damaged in places and obscured by ivy, fissure
in south-west abutment. A fine design that was exhibited at the Royal Acedemy in 1818.
Colvin, Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, l978).


Listing NGR: ST1378022340

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.