This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9974 / 50°59'50"N
Longitude: -3.23 / 3°13'47"W
OS Eastings: 313784
OS Northings: 122716
OS Grid: ST137227
Mapcode National: GBR LV.KKJW
Mapcode Global: FRA 463G.ZDD
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 25 January 1956
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1060318
English Heritage Legacy ID: 271007
Location: Nynehead, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA21
District: Taunton Deane
Civil Parish: Nynehead
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Church of England Parish: Nynehead
Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells
NYNEHEAD C P
4/65 Church of All Saints
Parish church. C14, south aisle and chapel c1410, 1869 church restored, organ chamber,
vestry and north chapel added by Edward Sandford of Nynehead Court (qv), restored 1970s.
Red sandstone, squared and uncoursed, roughcast south aisle and chapel. Ham stone and
red sandstone dressings, slate roofs, coped verges. West tower, 3-bay nave, 3-bay south
aisle with chapel, south porch, west chapel with Sandford Chapel adjoining, north-east
organ chamber and vestry, chancel.Crenellated 2-stage tower, diagonally buttressed,
2-light bell-openings with Somerset tracery, 3-light west window,moulded pointed arch
west door, external stair addition in south-east corner adjoining disused stair turret;
2-light west window to diagonally buttressed south aisle, one 3-light window left and
2 right of single storey gabled porch,moulded arch opening, remains of wagon roof,
moulded arch inner doorway, C19 door, 4-light window east end of south
chapel, 2-light to south face of chancel, one diagonal buttress, 3-light east window,
lancet, gable end of vestry with rose window and 2-light below, cinquefoil headed lancet
on return, 2-light on north face of vestry, 2-light to east end of Sandford chapel,
rose window north gable end, 2-light on west front beside pointed arch opening, blocked
4-centred arch head to former doorway of original north chapel, two 3-light windows to
nave. Interior: rendered, exposed quoins in chancel exposed rubble in tower.
Chancel arch: moulded pointed arch partly cut where rood stair inserted; moulded
Perpendicular arches to south chapel; C19 three bay arcade with larger central arch
to organ bay, chamfered 4-centred arch to original north chapel; chamfered pointed tower
arch; 3-bay standard Perpendicular arcade. Rood stair rebuilt mid C19; hagioscope;
piscina in chancel. C19 ceiled barrel vault roof to chancel, nave and aisle with renewed
ribbed wagon roof with bosses and wallplate. Perpendicular font. Interesting collection
of stained glass east window and rose window by Heaton, Butler and Pain, C17 and C19
armourial glass in Sandford chapel, window with royal coat of arms 1851 by Mr Toms of
Wellington who was responsible for some other windows some by Mr Drake of Exeter,
west window by Butler,C19 enamelled glass in chancel after designs by Sir Joshua
Reynolds. Organ by Charles Bailey rebuilt by Mr Tons of Wellington. Reredos by Seymour
of Taunton with "opus sectile" work by Powells of London. Three bay screen with
adjoining half bays said to be c1480 with arms of the Wyke family, restored with parts
of a coeval screen from Hillfarrance church (qv) added on chancel side and beside organ.
Good collection of memorials; in south chapel aedicule with ? kneeling figures, Edward
and Elizabeth Clarke, died 1679 and 1667, made locally in filverton for £25; tablet in
moulded surround cut by jambs of east window inscribed with poem by John Locke, the
philosopher, who visited the Clarkes at Chipley Park (qv) Sandford chapel with many
memorials to family including portrait bust of the Rev John Sandford by Costoli 1835
and kneeling angel by same sculptor; particularly fine cartouche tablet with draped
cloth carved with inscription to William Sandford died 1718. C16 tablet in chancel now
illegible attributed to Wyke family,who lived at Nynehead Court (qv). Plaque with
Madonna and child by workshop of Della Robbia opposite statue of Elijah by Mr Giles
of Wellington in former rood stair, Another Della Robbia workshop piece in south aisle.
These and the celebrated Mino da Fiesole base-relief, sold in 1970 to Cardiff Museum
and Art Gallery, were given by the Rev John Sandford, vicar of Nynehead resident of
Florence, whose notable art collection descended via his daughter to the Methua
collection at Corsha Court. A rich collection of fittings, (Photograph in NHfli Pevsner,
Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; Whittaker, Notes in the History
of Nynehead Court, 1978).
Listing NGR: ST1379222718
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings