This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9629 / 50°57'46"N
Longitude: -3.1409 / 3°8'27"W
OS Eastings: 319976
OS Northings: 118783
OS Grid: ST199187
Mapcode National: GBR LZ.MQ3M
Mapcode Global: FRA 469K.Q5P
Entry Name: Leigh Court
Listing Date: 25 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1060330
English Heritage Legacy ID: 271041
Location: Pitminster, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA3
District: Taunton Deane
Civil Parish: Pitminster
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
0 PITMINSTER CP
9/94 Leigh Court
Rectory, now dwelling. Circa 1837. Render over rubble, shallow pitch hipped slate roof,
boxed eaves, renewed moulded cornice, roughcast stacks flanking central bay and rising
on returns. Double pile facing west, service wing set back to north-east. Two storeys,
2:1:2 bays, centre bay breaks forward slightly with pedimented top projecting through
eaves,pilaster quoins, 12-pane sashes with moulded architraves lugged on first floor
with sills on console brackets, ground floor console brackets to projecting lintels,
central projecting, canted Ionic porch, curved entrance facade wall with blind niches
and pilaster responds flanking panelled door, originally 2-leaf, with rectangular leaded
light. Right return (south front) 1:3:1 bays with central full height projecting canted
bay, 12-pane sashes first floor, ground floor left inserted C20 French windows, central
window altered C20, end bay right flat roofed hexagonal bay with many paned lights.
Interior: the main feature of interest is the full height stair case hall with a screen
of Ionic columns and entablature on 3 sides at ground floor level, Corinthian column
screen to first floor gallery, and an unusual wrought iron balustrade of serpents and
C scrolls to cantilever stone stair; conservatory opening off hall on east front. The
house is reputed to have been built by the rector, the Rev Henry Tippetts Tucker, a fire
having destroyed the earlier rectory and manor house circa 1837. (Anon, Parish and Parish
Church of St Michael, Angersleigh, no date;Photoqraph in NMR).
Listing NGR: ST1997618783
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings