This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9715 / 50°58'17"N
Longitude: -3.0945 / 3°5'40"W
OS Eastings: 323247
OS Northings: 119689
OS Grid: ST232196
Mapcode National: GBR M1.M3VV
Mapcode Global: FRA 46DJ.XZM
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 25 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1060345
English Heritage Legacy ID: 270966
Location: Corfe, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA3
District: Taunton Deane
Civil Parish: Corfe
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST2319 CORFE VILLAGE
12/23 Church of St Nicholas
Parish church. 1842 rebuilding of Norman church, south aisle added 1858 and tower
rebuilt; 1969 chancel restored. By B Ferrey, later addition by C E Giles. Squared and
coursed blue lias, Has stone dressings, slate roofs, stone slates to pyramid tower
of church with decorative wrought iron balustrade and finial. Entered through north-west
tower, 4-bay nave and south aisle, south-east organ bay, chancel. Norman style. Three
stage tower, clasping buttresses, pyramid roof, modillion cornice, 2-light louvred bell
openings resting on modillion cornice, Norman style west door, double
doors with good decorative hinges ; left gable end of nave with rose window, lancet
to west end of south aisle, south front 5 semi-circular headed lancets linked by
continuous hoodmould, double lancets to organ bay door at east end,
lancet to chancel. 3 lancets east end with rose window above, stepped buttresses,
roll moulding around chancel,lancets on north front, dentil moulding to nave, 3 lancets,
stair turret in south-east corner. Interior: squared and coursed blue lias, tower
rendered. Four bay Norman-style arcade with scalloped capitals and stencilled decoration
on extrados. Norman-style chancel arch, modelled on arch of original church. C19 roofs,
open ribbed to chancel, hammer beam supported on diagonal struts corbelled out, with
arch bracing, carved corbels. Norman style carving to choir stalls, bench fronts and
interlaced arcading to organ screen acting as reredos to south aisle altar;
panelled dado to chancel; Norman style reredos to chancel, mid-late C19 stained glass,
east end windows in memory of deceased 1817.
Memorials to Sir Frederick Grey Cooper died 1840, and his wife, of Barton Grange (qv)
with recently repainted coat of arms, opposite draped with memorial to Clifton Wheat
died 1807, of Barton House. Both gentlemen appear to have had the same wife, who is
commemorated in a stained glass aisle window. Painted board with Royal Coat of Arms
of period 1801-16. Very interesting Norman font with interlocking arcading and
carved palmette. Two Romanesque style wooden armchairs, semi-circular arms with
carved lions, semi-circular headed back with billeted frieze and painted wooden
cross, probably designed by Ferrey. Two simple brass plaqes by J Hardman of
Birmingham, early C20. A satisfactory piece of design in the Norman style.
(Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1955).
Listing NGR: ST2324719689
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings