History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Langford Budville, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9895 / 50°59'22"N

Longitude: -3.2567 / 3°15'23"W

OS Eastings: 311895

OS Northings: 121877

OS Grid: ST118218

Mapcode National: GBR LT.KYKT

Mapcode Global: FRA 462H.F2Z

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 25 January 1956

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1060352

English Heritage Legacy ID: 270988

Location: Langford Budville, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA21

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane

Civil Parish: Langford Budville

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Church of England Parish: Runnington

Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells

Find accommodation in
Wellington

Listing Text

LANGFORD BUDVILLE CP
ST12SW
RUNNINGTON
4/46 Church of St Peter
25.1.56
GV II*
Parish church. C15 nave and tower, c1840 re-roofed and chancel rebuilt. Red sandstone
random rubble, tower squared and coursed, Ham stone dressings, slate roofs, coped verges
but not to chancel, slate hung gable end of nave. West tower,2-bay nave, south porch,
chancel. Crenellated low 3-stage tower, diagonal buttresses to second stage, moulded
plinth,2-light bell-openings, tiny lancet below with C19 hoodmould, 2-light west window
below with C19 hoodmould, 2-light window below string course, west doorway now blocked.
Pointed arch with double roll moulding, 2-stage stair turret in north-east corner;
all trefoil headed mullioned windows except in chancel, 2-light left of single storey
gabled porch,chamfered arch opening, 4-centred arch inner doorway, C19 diagonally
boarded door, decorative hinges, east return of porch with blue lias memorial stone to
John Bindon died 1794 with good lettering, 3-light window right, stepped buttress,
2-light window south front of chancel, 2-light east window, hood mould terminal faces,
north front another blue lias tablet, name illegible, died 1808, projecting rood stair
turret with lancet window, two 2-light windows on north front. Interior: rendered,
exposed squared and coursed rubble to tower, Cl9 4-centered chamfered chancel arch.
Chamfered tower arch; chamfered 4 centred arch openings to rood stair turret with
original stair; crocketed niche for statue in north wall of nave. C19 roofs, open
ribbed and painted wagon roof to chancel, ceiled with bosses and wall plate in nave.
Perpendicular font. C19 pine pews, harmonium, lords prayer and ten commandments on
chancel wall. Pevsner remarks that Runnington is interesting as an illustration of
the fact that even the smallest churches had rood stairs in the middle ages.
(Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).


Listing NGR: ST1189521877

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.