This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0016 / 51°0'5"N
Longitude: -3.0879 / 3°5'16"W
OS Eastings: 323757
OS Northings: 123031
OS Grid: ST237230
Mapcode National: GBR M1.KCHC
Mapcode Global: FRA 46FG.DV9
Entry Name: Fullands House
Listing Date: 2 September 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1060364
English Heritage Legacy ID: 270914
Location: Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA1
District: Taunton Deane
Town: Taunton Deane
Electoral Ward/Division: Taunton Killams and Mountfield
Built-Up Area: Taunton
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
STOKE ST MARY CP SHOREDITCH ROAD (West side)
4/125 Fullands House
House, now residential accommodation for school. 1810-12 on site of earlier dwelling for William Russell, partly
demolished late C19-early C20 and internally altered. Roughcast over rubble, moulded cornice, hipped asbestos slate
roof, gable end to demolished wing, brick stacks. Plan: originally T-plan, north wing mostly demolished, service wing
west end, entrance on north front. East front: 3 storeys, 3 bays, all 16-pane sash windows apart from 12-pane windows
first and second floors centre, obscured by metal fire escape. North front: 3 storeys, 4:1 bays, end bay left over
entrance unlit, otherwise 16-pane sash windows, 12-pane above entrance, inserted C20 door to left of entrance, lead
roofed, wooden Doric porch with 6-panel double doors and moulded architrave. Interior: extensively altered.
Reproduction of an early C19 engraving in possession of the occupants shows canted north wing with single storey
verandah on east side. The property by then known as Fullands School and between 1843 and 1848 the future General
Gordon of Kartoua was a pupil here. "It is not exaggeration to state that Somerset County Cricket was founded at
Fullands", Robin Bush. The property was purchased by King's College School in 1946. (Bromwich, King's College Taunton,
1980; Bush, The Story of Fullands, unpublished SRO, 1985).
Listing NGR: ST2375723031
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings