History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stables Adjoining Hatch Court

A Grade II Listed Building in Hatch Beauchamp, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9844 / 50°59'3"N

Longitude: -2.9898 / 2°59'23"W

OS Eastings: 330617

OS Northings: 121025

OS Grid: ST306210

Mapcode National: GBR M6.L6CF

Mapcode Global: FRA 46MH.WKM

Entry Name: Stables Adjoining Hatch Court

Listing Date: 25 February 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1060406

English Heritage Legacy ID: 270805

Location: Hatch Beauchamp, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA3

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane

Civil Parish: Hatch Beauchamp

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Hatch Beauchamp

Listing Text

HATCH BEAUCHAMP CP
ST32SW
HATCH BEAUCHAMP VILLAGE

6/21 Stables adjoining Hatch Court

25.2.55

GV II

Stables abutting Hatch Court (qv). Circa 1820, undergoing restoration at time of survey (December 1984). Render over
lias rubble and brick, entrance front stripped of render at time of survey, hipped slate roofs. Courtyard plan
adjoining Hatch Court to south, entrance on west front. West front: 2 storeys 1:3 bays, end of stable wing left 2 blind
openings, square headed blind openings flanking semicircular headed carriageway entrance, circular niche above. Single
storey pyramid roofed pavilions with 24-pane sash windows flank entrance on courtyard interior; north side stables, 3
square-headed stable doors flanked by 12-pane sash windows; east side, 4 semicircular headed openings, square headed in
outer bays, blind rectangular niches above. Wall to south fronts courtyard of Hatch Court. The stables on north side
contain fittings and unusual shell-headed niches for hay baskets. A building shown in the engraving in Collinson
standing to the west of Hatch Court is believed to have the original stables designed by Prowse and demolished c1820.
(Collinson, History of Somerset, 1791).


Listing NGR: ST3061721025

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.