History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Glebe Court

A Grade II Listed Building in West Monkton, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0503 / 51°3'1"N

Longitude: -3.0522 / 3°3'7"W

OS Eastings: 326341

OS Northings: 128415

OS Grid: ST263284

Mapcode National: GBR M3.G2K3

Mapcode Global: FRA 46HB.NQX

Entry Name: Glebe Court

Listing Date: 25 February 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1060427

English Heritage Legacy ID: 270759

Location: West Monkton, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA2

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane

Civil Parish: West Monkton

Built-Up Area: West Monkton

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
West Monkton

Listing Text

ST22NE WEST MONKTON CP
WEST MONKTON VILLAGE

6/215 Glebe Court

25.2.55

GV II

Rectory, now dwelling. Circa 1783, altered mid C19 and early C20, Rendered over rubble, painted rubble and brick
service wings, mansard slate roof with coped verges to gabled North elevation, bead moulded cornice, brick stacks North
front and North West wing, entrance East elevation, East front: 2 storeys and attic, 1:3 bays; three square headed 6
pane dormer sash windows, lower independently roofed, hipped service wing left, all 12 pane sash windows above central
entrance, C20 door and early C20 flat roofed wooden pentice porch carried on shaped console brackets with pilasters and
swags in frieze South front: 4 bays, mid C19 blind boxes to ground floor sash windows without glazing bars, abutting
one bay North West wing, hipped roof with brick stack, 12-pane sash windows first floor 15-pane below, West front: 5:1
bays. Interior not sighted, panelled shutters to ground floor windows. This was built as the rectory circa 1783 and was
sold 150 years later when the building formerly known as Court House became the rectory (qv). (M E Roynan, The Church
of St Augustine of Canterbury, West Monkton, 1982).


Listing NGR: ST2633928420

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.