History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in West Monkton, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0509 / 51°3'3"N

Longitude: -3.0531 / 3°3'11"W

OS Eastings: 326276

OS Northings: 128473

OS Grid: ST262284

Mapcode National: GBR M3.G2BB

Mapcode Global: FRA 46HB.NCQ

Entry Name: The Rectory

Listing Date: 17 May 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1060428

English Heritage Legacy ID: 270761

Location: West Monkton, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA2

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane

Civil Parish: West Monkton

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
West Monkton

Listing Text

ST22NE WEST MONKTON CP WEST MONKTON VILLAGE


6/221 The Rectory

GV II


House, now rectory. Circa 1815, altered C19, 1933 and 1963. Roughcast over rubble,
slate roof coped verges, heavy moulded cornice, brick stack South gable end, roughcast
stacks left of entrance and West gable end. L-plan facing West, C19 and C20 additions
on North front, South gable end fronting forecourt to tower of St Augustine's Church
(qv). 2 storeys, 2:3 bays; 16-pane sash windows, ground floor fronted by 3:6 bay cast
iron trelliswork verandah with glazed pentice roof, entrance in angle, many paned three
quarter glazed double doors, C20 asbestos roofed garage abutting West gable end (not
included). South gable end lit with two 16 pane sash windows; two 16-pane pointed
arch windows with divided tracery lighting stairs on long East front. Interior;
extensively altered C19 and C20. Collinson illustrated a large mansion, The Court
House, on this site in 1791. It was reputedly demolished circa 1815 when the occupants,
the Brickdale family, built Monkton House (not included) to the North West. The present
building became the Rectory in 1933. It is possible that the South wall survives from
this earlier dwelling which extended further South, but extensive C19 and C20 internal
alterations have removed any features that might have been of interest Roof structure
not sighted. Primarily listed for group value. (M E Roynan, Church of St Augustine
of Canterbury, West Monkton, 1982; Collinson, Somerset, 1791).


Listing NGR: ST2627428477

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.