This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0275 / 51°1'38"N
Longitude: -3.1467 / 3°8'48"W
OS Eastings: 319679
OS Northings: 125969
OS Grid: ST196259
Mapcode National: GBR LZ.HGMM
Mapcode Global: FRA 469D.FYF
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 25 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1060468
English Heritage Legacy ID: 270655
Location: Norton Fitzwarren, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA2
District: Taunton Deane
Civil Parish: Norton Fitzwarren
Built-Up Area: Norton Fitzwarren
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST12NE NORTON FITZWARREN CP
NORTH FITZWARREN VILLAGE
4/147 Church of All Saints
Parish church. North aisle circa 1300, tower late C13-early C14, church restored 1851-2, porch and chancel rebuilt and
vestry added 1866, Squared and coursed sandstone, Ham stone dressings, slate roofs, patterned on vestry, coped verges.
West tower, 3 bay nave, 3 bay North aisle, South porch, North East vestry, chancel. Crenellated 3 stage tower, set back
buttresses, string course with gargoyles, deep plinth, 2-light mullioned and transomed louvred bell openings, clock and
empty canopied niche on South nave, pointed mulded arch West door with C19 door, crenellated North East stairturrent;
South face of nave one 2-light window left and 2 right of Cl9 single storey gabled porch with setback buttresses,
moulded arched entrance, C19 ribbed door, 2-light windows on returns, stepped buttresses to chancel, lancet left and
2-light window right of priest's door, 3-light East window, 3-light vestry East window, short circular chimney, paired
lancets on North front, North aisle decorative pierced parapet, three 2-light windows between stepped buttresses,
3-light Test window. Interior: rendered. Pointed C19 chancel arch, tower arch chamfered in 3 orders dying into imposts
closed by C20 part glazed screen. North aisle arcade of octagonal piers with double chamfered arches, Good ribbed and
cambered roof to North aisle, Cl9 archbraced roof to nave, C19 scissor truss to chancel. Very handsome 3:5 bay rood
screen with double doors, the name of Ralph Harris, Churchwarden; (who died 1509) carved upon it: rood group above
1896. Finely carved alabaster and black slate wall tablet with gilded lettering, swags and drops with console, to Jacob
Prowse died 1672 inscribed with 13 lines in latin from Homer's Iliad. 3 hatchments including late one to Sir John Slade
of Monty's Court (qv) who died 1859. C20 carved pulpit. C19 brass chandeliers with glass mantels. Tower contains
collection of bell ringing achievements, 1900-14. C19 stained glass, East window dated 185S. Octagonal font. Some C16
bench ends. The South Test corner of the churchyard is said to have been a burying ground for gypsies. (Photographs in
NMR: Kelly's Directory, 1897; Buildings of England Buildings of South and West Somerset, 1958).
Listing NGR: ST1967925969
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings