This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0319 / 51°1'54"N
Longitude: -3.1248 / 3°7'29"W
OS Eastings: 321219
OS Northings: 126439
OS Grid: ST212264
Mapcode National: GBR M0.H84W
Mapcode Global: FRA 46BD.BF7
Entry Name: Church of St John the Evangelist
Listing Date: 25 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1060479
English Heritage Legacy ID: 270684
Location: Staplegrove, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA2
District: Taunton Deane
Civil Parish: Staplegrove
Built-Up Area: Taunton
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 01/08/2017
Church of St John the Evangelist
(Formerly listed as Church of St John)
Parish church. C13 chancel arch, lower stage of tower, some C15 work but mostly of the 1857 and 1873 restoration when vestry and North aisle added, porch 1902, enlarged 1961.
South tower, west porch, four bay nave, north aisle, northeast organ chamber and vestry wing, two bay south east chapel, chancel, coursed blue lias rubble, quoins, slate roofs, scalloped tiles to vestry and chancel, coped verges. Crenellated two stage tower, diagonal buttresses, two-light bell openings, louvred lancet, pointed arch south door with continous double chamfer, C19 door. South chapel projecting with diagonal buttresses, two 2-light windows and Tudor arch headed priest's door, decorative spandrels, Jacobean style-panelled door, two-light window east end of chapel, three-light east end of chancel, three-light east end of Vestry corridor, door in re-entrant angle of projecting vestry block, two-light east end. North front of vestry four-light window, pentice roof on west front leading to organist's door, three two-light windows to north aisle, stepped buttresses between, two-light west end and north front, single storey two bay porch with parapet gable over centre above double doors, lancet on north return, south four centred arch doorway with decorative spandrels inscribed ER1 1902, three-light west end window. South wall of nave two-light window and lancet flanking buttress, west wall of tower large blue lias tablet to John Jennings, died 1779, and his wife Mary with carved cherub's heads in roundels and pedimented Doulting top.
Interior: rendered. Four bay nave with C19 octagonal piers to north aisle, C19 chamfered arches to south chapel, pointed, unmoulded chancel arch, hagioscope in chancel wall: tower arch blocked. C19 ribbed barrel vault roofs, stencilled decoration in chancel. Collection of C18 and C19 wall tablets, C19 benches, C19 font, finely carved C20 pulpit, wrought iron organ screen to north aisle on the theme of The Tree of Life by J. Horrobin, circa 1970. West window by Kempe, 1897.
Listing NGR: ST2121926439
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings