This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0618 / 51°3'42"N
Longitude: -3.113 / 3°6'46"W
OS Eastings: 322099
OS Northings: 129753
OS Grid: ST220297
Mapcode National: GBR M0.FK4F
Mapcode Global: FRA 46C9.WK7
Entry Name: The Manor House
Listing Date: 25 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1060501
English Heritage Legacy ID: 270637
Location: Kingston St. Mary, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA2
District: Taunton Deane
Civil Parish: Kingston St. Mary
Built-Up Area: Kingston St Mary
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST2229 KINGSTON ST MARY CP LODES LANE (West side)
12/126 The Manor House
Manor house. Circa 1560, alteration dated 1702, extension on North front dated 1869, restored 1924. Red sandstone with
Hma stone dressing, string course, quios, wooden cornice, steeply pitched state roof, partly covered with bitumen,
coped verges and kneelers, trick stacks East gable end, South West gable end, and set back from junction with wing.
'L' plan, possibly original open hall with solar wing, now 3 cell and cross passage, dog-leg stair and parlour added on
North front early C18, further additions to service area on North front 1869. South front: 2 storeys and attic, 2:3:1:2
bays, cross wing left, full height hipped roof porth third bay right, two hipped dormers flanking porch, 6 balls eye
openings, left gable end, one below eaves end by left if block with 2-light depressed Tudor arch window below, 12-pace
sash winnows first floor with 4-pane sash windows in gabled end, ground floor left window altered, paired 12-pane sash
windows flanking porch with keystone cutting string course small square basement light end bay left, bolection moulded
Ham stone doorcase inscribed Mary and Thomas Knight 1702; left, glazed double doors with diamond-paned light above,
South East wall of wing 2 bays with 2 tiers of cruciform windows built with blocked lower iights, architrave running
continuously to form label below first floor and bulls eye windows to basement, moulded lintels to ground floor windows
which have many paned casements. Interior partially sighted; early C18 dog-leg stair with turned balusters, moulded
rail. ornamentally carved string and panelled dado, early C18 raised and fielded panelling to parlour right of cross
passage, plasterwork to stair ceiling and back parlour. The house was originally known as Lodes and was probably built
for Robert Knight whose descendants subsequently altered it. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset
1956; SANHS Proceedings, Vol 83, 1939).
Listing NGR: ST2209929753
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings