History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter and St Paul

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bishop's Hull, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0167 / 51°1'0"N

Longitude: -3.135 / 3°8'5"W

OS Eastings: 320482

OS Northings: 124757

OS Grid: ST204247

Mapcode National: GBR LZ.JCKT

Mapcode Global: FRA 46BF.DHF

Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul

Listing Date: 25 February 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1060537

English Heritage Legacy ID: 270515

Location: Bishop's Hull, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA1

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane

Civil Parish: Bishop's Hull

Built-Up Area: Taunton

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Taunton

Listing Text

ST2024 BISHOP'S HULL CP BISHOP'S HULL ROAD (East side

13/8 Church of St Peter and St Paul

25.2.55

GV II*

Parish church. C13 lower stage of tower, upper C14, 1536 chancel and chapel, 1827-8 nave enlarged one bay beyond South
aisle, arcade of latter removed, West end rebuilt, mid C20 West gallery added, West end windows renewed and lateral
stack with boilerhouse added on South front. Early C19 work by Richard Carver. Roughcast West and South fronts, others
blue lias and red sandstone random rubble with some brick, Ham stone dressings, asbestos slate roof to chancel, other
roofs Welsh slate, coped verges. Plan: North tower, 2 bay North-East chapel, chancel, South-East chapel, long 2 bay
nave, 3 bays wide, West porch, North-West vestry. 4 stage crenellated tower, square base broached to an octagon on
upper 3 stages, string courses, 2-light bell openings, lancet, all with Somerset tracery, pointed arch North doorway
with continuous double chamfer: right, single storey vestry, diagonal; butttress, reset C13 2-light West window,
external stairs to West end gallery door. Gabled West front, diagonal buttresses, lancet in gable end, 4-light Tudor
head window flanked by similar 2-light windows, single storey 3 bay porch with pointed arch openings, inner door left
C19 Tudor arched head, chamfered, panelled double door; right reset moulded 4-centred arch doorway with ribbed and
studded door, possibly C18, South front disfigured by tall C20 roughcast stack with single storey brick boilerhouse,
two 3-light windows, sundial between, South front of chapel 3-light cinquefoil headed mullioned window, diagonal
buttress to South chapel, 3-light East window, diagonal buttress to chancel 12 lght cinquefoil headed South window,
3-light East window, to right blue lias tablet to Mary, wife of the Rev. Farmham Haskell, died 1770. North chapel
3-light East window, North front of chapel 3 and 2-light cinquefoil headed mullioned windows, tower abutting right.
Interior: rendered. Long 2 bays nave without arcades, Perpendicular arches between South chapel and chancel, chancel
arch and arch between South chapel and nave dying into imposts, 2 arches to North chapel with angel capitals, tower
arch blocked, entry via vestry door with blocked 2 centred arch above, perhaps entry to earlier gallery. Plastered
cambered nave roof, ribbed wagon roofs with bosses to chapels, chancel restored ribbed wagon roof with bosses and
will-plate. Aumbry in North chapel, 4 pieces of carved stone set against East Wall, one said to be dated, perhaps from
demolished arcade. 2-light clerestory window made from rood loft opening in North wall, C20 panelled oak West end
gallery carried on square columns, Royal Coat of Arms attached. Fine collection of C16 bench ends. including 6 set
against wall in North chapel, majority of seating early C19 box pews. Impressive alabaster monument in chancel to
George Farewell, died 1616, reclining figure with wife below in bas-relief flanked by 5 daughters and 3 sons, traces of
colour, segmental head of niche split. Two good C17 wall tablets reset on South wall of nave, to George Farwell died
1647, and to his daughter Mary Brune, with pendant niche containg 3 children stacked one on top of the other. Pulpit
composed of reset panelling, probably constructed early C19. The chancel walls are in poor condition due to subsidence.
the chancel having been constructed without foundations. Until 1885 the parish was considerabley larger and this was
the most fashionable church in Taunton during the first half of the C19. (Photographs in NMR Pevsner, Buildings of
England South and West Somerset, 1958; SANHS proceedings, vol 5B, 1912),


Listing NGR: ST2048224757

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.