History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Milverton, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0256 / 51°1'32"N

Longitude: -3.2529 / 3°15'10"W

OS Eastings: 312227

OS Northings: 125880

OS Grid: ST122258

Mapcode National: GBR LT.HRQH

Mapcode Global: FRA 462D.NK3

Entry Name: The Old House

Listing Date: 25 January 1956

Last Amended: 4 May 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1060552

English Heritage Legacy ID: 270449

Location: Milverton, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA4

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane

Civil Parish: Milverton

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Church of England Parish: Milverton

Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells

Find accommodation in
Milverton

Listing Text

ST1225 MILVERTON CP PARSONAGE LANE (East side)

11/238 The Old House
(formerly listed as The Parsonage
under General)

25.1.56

GV II*

House. Late C15, early C16, extensively restored 1883. Red sandstone random rubble, Ham stone dressings, moulded plinth
only on facade of porch, right return and facade of hall to right, slate roof, coped verges. Original block faces
South, stair turret projection to North-east, C19 service wing to North-west fronting road and C18 brick addition to
East. One and a half storeys, irregularly placed fenestration (probably all late C19) Tudor arch hollow chamfer
mullions, ground floor 3-light to left of porch, one 3-light and one 4-light to right first floor only one 5-light in
gabled projection above hall. 2-storeys gabled porch, diagonal buttresses coping verges, moulded string course below
gable, original 2-light Tudor arch mullions with ferramenta,moulded arched opening. Innerdoor with moulded 4 centred
arch wooden door case below hood mould, decorated spandrels, dated 1480 in C19 hand. Interior: buttery to left of stone
flagged cross passage, hall to right, very high ceiling with 8 panel moulded compartment ceiling at dias end beside
oriel arch with decorative stone panels giving access to C18 addition. Both rooms have imported panelling, that in the
buttery, now dining room, reputedly originates from The Old Rectory, Combe Florey. Very small fireplace considering
size of room set in North wall, probably reset, with dog leg stair turret behind axial passage, moulded handrails, C16
pierced flat balusters, with 6 panel moulded compartment ceiling above. Upstairs barrel vaulted room that originally
ran the length of the house with partition over buttery end. This was the rectory house of the Archdeacon of Taunton
and remained church property until the mid C20. For further discussion of the possible dating and evolution of the
house. (VAG Report, unpublished SRO, December 1973).


Listing NGR: ST1222725880

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.