This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2081 / 51°12'29"N
Longitude: 0.4402 / 0°26'24"E
OS Eastings: 570550
OS Northings: 148262
OS Grid: TQ705482
Mapcode National: GBR NQK.44C
Mapcode Global: VHJMK.LW2R
Entry Name: The Glass House
Listing Date: 25 July 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1060622
English Heritage Legacy ID: 174847
Location: Collier Street, Maidstone, Kent, ME18
Civil Parish: Collier Street
Built-Up Area: Benover
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Yalding St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
YALDING BENOVER ROAD
TQ 74 NW
The Glass House
House. Dated 1603 (J. Newman, West Kent and the Weald, 1980), restored
mid-to-late C20. Timber framed. Ground floor close-studded with rendered
infilling, first floor tile-hung to front, close-studded to gable ends.
Plain tile roof. 2 storeys and garret. Rendered plinth. Continuous jetty
with moulded bressumer supported at each end on carved scrolled bracket.
Eaves jettied to gable ends on similarly-moulded bressumers and brackets.
Half-hipped roof. Red and grey brick stack in front slope of roof towards
centre, with brick string towards base and top, line suggesting fillet to
front, and with another rectangular flue to each side, set at an angle.
Irregular fenestration of 3 ovolo-moulded wood mullioned windows;
one four-light towards each end and one two-light under stack. Ground floor
has two C17 two-light ovolo-moulded mullion frieze windows to left and two to
right, each pair formerly flanking a deeper window for which only mortices
remain. Deep left window area subsequently partly filled with six-pane
sash, right area with four-light leaded wood mullion window. Brick patch
under each cill. Each gable end has four-light ovolo-moulded mullion attic
window with diamond subsidiary mullions, in moulded architrave. Left gable
end has six-light ovolo-moulded mullion first-floor window with diamond
subsidiary mullions, and similar window to ground floor. Right gable end
has ten-light mullioned and transomed first floor oriel window with
subsidiary mullions, two-light side-lights, multiply-moulded sides and
head, and coved plastered soffit. Similar oriel window to ground floor,
with ovolo-moulded mullion frieze windows, later brick pier under one end
and small gable with plain-tile roof. Ribbed door in squared moulded
architrave under stack. Timber-framed rear lean-to, clad with patched
brickwork, extending slightly further to right and left than main range,
and with clasped purlin visible in left gable end. Interior not inspected.
Said to derive its name from a formerly virtually continuous row of first-
floor oriel windows along front elevation, with eaves of main roof jettied
or continued down over them. Said to be dated 1603 internally. Illustrated
in 1867 without front oriels (K. Gravett, Timber and Brick Building in Kent,
1981 edn. p.38).
Listing NGR: TQ7055048262
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings