This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.1586 / 51°9'30"N
Longitude: 0.5523 / 0°33'8"E
OS Eastings: 578573
OS Northings: 143023
OS Grid: TQ785430
Mapcode National: GBR PSM.8GT
Mapcode Global: VHJN0.J4CN
Entry Name: The King's Head Hotel
Listing Date: 10 June 1971
Last Amended: 25 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1060725
English Heritage Legacy ID: 174602
Location: Staplehurst, Maidstone, Kent, TN12
Civil Parish: Staplehurst
Built-Up Area: Staplehurst
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
STAPLEHURST HIGH STREET
TQ 7843 (West side)
5/136 The King's Head
listed as The
10.6.1971 King's Head Inn)
Public house. C16, with alterations of 1671, C18 and C19. Timber framed.
Main range rendered; Chequered C18 or C19 red brick to ground floor of
front of wing, banded plain and fishscale tiles to first floor, and
applied framing to gable. Late C17 red and grey brick in English and
Flemish bond to ground floor of left return elevation. Addition to rear
of wing weatherboarded above a brick base. Main range of about 2 timber
framed bays, with cross-wing, also of about 2 bays, projecting forwards
slightly to left. 2 storeys and cellar. Coursed stone plinth to cross-
wing, painted brick plinth to main range. Cross-wing with underbuilt
jetties to front and left return. Wing gabled with slightly higher eaves.
Roof of main range hipped to right with gablet, hip returning to right.
Slender projecting red and grey brick stack to left side of wing, and
brick stack in front slope of roof to left of centre of main range.
Multiple red and grey brick ridge stack towards centre of rear addition.
Irregular fenestration of two 16-pane sashes; one to wing, one towards
right end of main range. Two 12-pane sashes to ground floor of wing,
one 16-pane under stack, and tripartite sash towards right end. Half-
glazed double doors up 4 steps with iron hand-rail to left end of main
range, and half-glazed door up 5 steps, with pair of iron rails, to right
end. Short gabled rear wing to right of main range. Date G E A 1671 in
brick to left side of wing. Interior: only partly inspected. Exposed
framing to ground floor, with evidence for subdivision of wing. Moulded
beams to main range.
Listing NGR: TQ7857343021
Other nearby listed buildings