This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2612 / 51°15'40"N
Longitude: 0.4639 / 0°27'50"E
OS Eastings: 572008
OS Northings: 154226
OS Grid: TQ720542
Mapcode National: GBR PR4.XT0
Mapcode Global: VHJMD.0K3H
Entry Name: Church of St Margaret
Listing Date: 23 May 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1060773
English Heritage Legacy ID: 174425
Location: Barming, Maidstone, Kent, ME16
Civil Parish: Barming
Built-Up Area: Maidstone
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Barming St Margaret of Antioch
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
BARMING Church of
TQ 75 SW
Parish church. C13 and late C14/C15, with addition of 1850 by Hakewill.
Sanctuary decoration 1898 by Comper. Nave and chancel ragstone rubble.
Tower and north aisle roughly-coursed stone. Plain tile roofs. Wood shingles
to spire. West tower. Continuous nave and chancel. South porch. North
vestry. North aisle. West tower: late C14 or early C15. Two stages, on
chamfered stone plinth. Battlemented above chamfered string. Octagonal
spire with weathervane. Rectilinear south-east stair turret, becoming
polygonal above belfry, rising above tower, and similarly battlemented.
Belfry windows of 2 trefoil-headed lights with squared moulded hoodmoulds.
Similar west window towards base of upper stage. Larger west window to
lower stage, of two cinquefoil-headed lights, with cambered head and
moulded hoodmould. Small chamfered pointed-arched west doorway with C19
moulded hoodmould. Nave: late C12 or C13 origins. Tufa quoins to
west, possibly re-used. West end of nave overlaps tower stair turret.
No plinth. C19 lancet to west of porch, and two C19 windows to east.
Small low-set C14 cinquefoiled and ogee-headed light towards east end.
Porch: late C14 or early C15. Large blocks of evenly-coursed stone.
Low chamfered stone plinth. Small chamfered rectangular light to east and
to west. Roof of morticed collars, with ashlar pieces and moulded wooden
cornice. Continuous stone bench to each side. Moulded pointed-arched
outer doorway with moulded hoodmould. Broad, pointed-arched, hollow-
chamfered inner doorway with broach stops. Boarded door. Chancel: late
C12 or C13. Tufa quoins to north and south. No plinth. Re-roofed in C19
with slightly higher ridge than nave. Low rectangular south light towards
west end. Larger 2-light C19 south window, with straight tufa jambs of a
blocked window to west of it. 3 small, widely-spaced, round-headed east
lancets with tufa jambs, that to centre placed higher up within gable.
C14 north window of 2 ogee-headed trefoiled lights and quatrefoil in an
ogival, with restored roll-and-fillet hoodmould with grotesque heads to
label stops. Vestry: C19. Coursed stone. Low, with coped north gable.
North aisle: 1850, by Hakewill. Low eaves to north. 2 north buttresses.
East window of 3 stepped lancets. 3 trefoil-headed north lights, and
2-light west window. Interior: structure: 3-bay C19 north arcade to nave
in a C13 style. Late C14 or early C15 chancel arch, pointed, and doubly
hollow-chamfered; attached semi-circular column to each side, with moulded
capital and base. Tall,doubly plain-chamfered tower arch without imposts.
Round-headed rere-arch of a splayed window to south side of west gable end
of nave, blocked by tower. Roof: medieval common rafter roof to nave, with
scissor-braces trenched past high collars. Ashlar pieces. Central tie-beam.
C19 roof to chancel, of arch-braced collars, with collar purlin and curved
ashlar-pieces. Fittings: octagonal font with chamfered base to bowl and
tooled stone borders, set on later stem. Poor box in form of large C17
turned newel with square top. Stalls: probably German, circa 1300 (J. Newman).
3 wooden stall ends about 7' high, with free-standing sculpture above solid
panelled bases. St. Michael slaying the devil, and Christ in limbo at
opposite ends of one double stall. Samson and the lion at one end of a row
of 4 seats. Carved ends to arm-rests of each seat, and short shafts with
crocketed capitals beneath feet of each figure. Bull of St. Luke crouched
between scrolls of a former intermediate stall end, now part of a reading
desk. Poppyheads to ends of two stall fronts. Wall-painting: stencilled
pattern of intertwined thorns and wreaths to splays of each east end window,
with starred heavens to arch soffits. Gilded relief of Nativity between
lower windows. All by Comper. (J. Newman, Buildings of England Series,
West Kent and the Weald, 1980).
Listing NGR: TQ7188154503
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings