This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.168 / 51°10'4"N
Longitude: 0.618 / 0°37'4"E
OS Eastings: 583129
OS Northings: 144229
OS Grid: TQ831442
Mapcode National: GBR QTV.M2W
Mapcode Global: VHJMV.NXL0
Entry Name: Headcorn Manor
Listing Date: 20 October 1952
Last Amended: 21 October 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1060835
English Heritage Legacy ID: 174272
Location: Headcorn, Maidstone, Kent, TN27
Civil Parish: Headcorn
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
HEADCORN CHURCH WALK
TQ 8344 (South side)
10/45 Headcorn Manor
as the Old
Parsonage, now house. Circa 1516, restored in C20. Timber framed with
plaster infilling and plain tile roof. Wealden with 2 roughly equal-length
hall bays and storeyed bay to each end. 2 storeys and attic. Right and
left end bays jettied to front and to gable ends. Right end bay also
jettied to rear, left end bay projects: either unjettied or underbuilt.
Moulded dragon posts to front, plain to rear to right. Every elevation
close-studded. Solid bracket under each end of central tie-beam. Solid-
spandrel brackets to front and rear flying wall-plates. Steeply pitched
hipped roof. Multiple brick ridge stack to left end of hall. Gabled
dormer to left hip. Irregular fenestration of 4 windows; one 4-light wooden
mullioned canted oriel window to each end bay with shaped bracket under and
cinquefoil-headed lights. 2-storey canted bay with close-studded sides and
solid bracket to base, to right end of left hall bay with 4-light wooden
mullioned window to each floor, with cinquefoil-headed lights and daggers.
2-light wooden mullioned window to right hall bay, with cinquefoil-headed
lights and trefoils. Similar 2-storey canted bay and 2-light window to rear
elevation of hall. 2-light ovolo-moulded wooden mullioned window to rear of
left hall bay and diamond mullioned window to rear of right end room.
Boarded door to right end of hall with moulded 4-centred arched architrave
with carved roses to spandrels and moulded brattished bressumer over.
Similar but less elaborate door opposite to rear. Interior: Moulded end-
of-hall beams, that to left end brattished. Short moulded spears beside
front and rear doors, possibly removed from left end of hall. Three 4-
centred arched service doors to right end of hall, that to centre with
roses to spandrels, leading to stairs. Moulded central truss posts, moulded
arch-braced tie-beam of heavy scantling, and moulded crown post. Ashlar
pieces. Ogee end-of-hall braces to first floor and to end-of-hall crown
posts. Close-studded infilling below inner wall-plate. Cl7 newel staircase
in front of stack. Moulded beams to inserted hall floor. Moulded 4-centred
arched brick fireplace to first floor left end bay. [J, Newman, West Kent
and the Weald, 1980).
Listing NGR: TQ8313044229
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings