This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2172 / 51°13'2"N
Longitude: 0.6427 / 0°38'33"E
OS Eastings: 584659
OS Northings: 149767
OS Grid: TQ846497
Mapcode National: GBR QT9.MB2
Mapcode Global: VHJMP.3N4Q
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 26 April 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1060850
English Heritage Legacy ID: 174216
Location: Ulcombe, Maidstone, Kent, ME17
Civil Parish: Ulcombe
Built-Up Area: Ulcombe
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
ULCOMBE ULCOMBE HILL
TQ 84 NW
5/196 All Saints
Parish church. C12, C13, C14 and C15, altered internally
1956-63, restored 1980s. Stone, with plain tile roofs. West
tower with vestry to south, nave, south aisle, south porch,
chancel, north and south chancel chapels stopping short of
east end, north-east chapel to nave. West tower: C15.
3 stages on moulded plinth, with battlements above moulded,
gargoyled string. Polygonal south-east stair turret, taller
than tower, also with gargoyled string and battlements.
Diagonal buttresses. Belfry openings of 2 cinquefoil-headed
lights with square-topped hoodmould. Single trefoil-headed
light with hoodmould to all but east side of second stage.
2-centred arched 3-light traceried west window with moulded
hoodmould. 2-centred arched casement-moulded west doorway,
formerly with slender attached shaft to either side. Moulded
hoodmould with scrolled ends. Ribbed door. South vestry:
C19 or later. Stone rubble. Lean-to roof. Re-set medieval
trefoil-headed light. C19 light and doorway to south.
South aisle: C13, on moulded plinth, with 3 buttresses.
Parapet above moulded string. C14 two-light window with
renewed hoodmould to west of porch. C19 window to east of
porch. Porch: C15. Small blocks of coursed stone, on
moulded plinth. Parapet above moulded string. Two-light
window to east and west with squared hoodmoulds. Niche above
doorway. 2-centred arched casement-moulded doorway, formerly
with attached shaft either side. Quatrefoiled spandrels with
shields. Squared hoodmould. Moulded inner doorway, probably
C14, with roll-and-fillet hoodmould with scrolled ends.
Ribbed inner door. South chancel chapel: C12 origins.
Moulded plinth. Low parapet without string. South-east angle
buttress. 2 largely C19 three-light south windows, one with
hoodmould. Similar east window. Chancel: C13, probably with
C12 origins. Stone rubble. No plinth. Gabled. North-east
and south-east clasping buttresses. South window "especially
interesting" (J Newman, Buildings of England Series, West Kent
and the Weald, 19801; early C14, of 3 lights, in Bethersden
marble, with hoodmould. C13 east window of 3 individual,
widely-spaced stepped lancets, that to north slightly narrower.
North window C14; three broad lights with ogee heads, that to
centre reaching to head of window. Roll-and-fillet hoodmould
with carved heads as label stops. North chancel chapel and
north-east nave chapel: former late C15 or early C16, latter
C13 but with continuous north elevation. Moulded plinth.
Lean-to roof. Diagonal north-east and north-west buttresses.
3-light traceried east window with hoodmould. Two 3-light
north windows to east of door, with moulded jambs and squared
hoodmoulds. One 2-light window over C19 doorway to west end
of north chancel chapel. 3-light north window to nave chapel,
with moulded jambs and squared hoodmould. Similar 2-light
window to west end. Nave: north elevation: no plinth. Two
2-light windows, that to east with ogee-headed lights and
roll-and-fillet hoodmould with scrolled ends. Part of jamb
and head of blocked round-headed window high in wall. Moulded
2-centred-arched doorway between windows. Interior: Structure:
C13.three-bay south arcade to nave, of broad pointed chamfered
arches and rectangular piers with undercut strings. Arch to
north-east nave chapel similar, but with hollow chamfer.
2-bay chancel arcade to north and south. Circular C12 column
to centre of south arcade, with scalloped capital and ring-
moulded base. Unchamfered C13 pointed arches springing from
rectangular side piers with moulded strings and cushion chamfer-
stops. Late C15 or early C16 north arcade with moulded 4-centred
arches springing from moulded side shafts and central pier of
4 attached columns with moulded capitals and bases. Chancel
arch C13, possibly with C12 base, with tall pointed arch
springing from high chamfered imposts. C15 tower arch with
3 orders of hollow chamfers and attached shaft each side with
moulded capital and base. C14 arch between south aisle and
south chapel, of 2 orders, with attached semi-octagonal shaft
either side with moulded capital and base. East end of chancel
has C13 blind arcade of single arch to north and south with
undercut hoodmould, dying into continuous chamfered string
running beneath east lancets. Lancets flanked by 4 Purbeck
marble shafts with bell capitals, bases and shaft rings, and
continuous hollow chamfer with stylized roses. Continuous
hoodmould. 3 blocked, deeply splayed round-headed windows high
up in north wall of nave. Roof: early C16 roof to north
chancel chapel, with multiple roll mouldings to beams, joists
and cornice. Remaining roofs ribbed and boarded in C19.
Fittings: C13 piscina to south wall of south chancel chapel.
2 broad aumbries to east end of chancel, that to south
incorporating piscina. Rood loft stairs within pier to north-
east end of nave. Finely carved late C15 or early C16 traceried
parclose screen to west bay of north chancel arcade, with
linenfold panelling to base. C15 screen now in west bay of
south chancel arcade, of 7 cinquefoil-headed lights with carved
spandrels. 5 stalls below it, 3 with carved misericords.
Decoration: wall-painting: cross to north side of west pier
of south nave arcade; St Michael overcoming Satan on south side
of same pier; late C13 crucified Christ to each side of soffit
of central arch of south arcade; Dives and Lazarus to south
side of east pier of same arcade; crucifixion to west side of
east pier of south chancel arcade; wavy patterning to chamfer
of blind arcade on south side of chancel; 5 priestly heads
towards west end of north blind arcade; substantial remains of
chevron patterning to soffit of north-east nave arch, and "key"
to south side of north-east nave chapel. Stained glass:
grisaille glass in north window of chancel. Armorial glass in
east window of north chancel chapel, restored 1853, in memory
of St. Leger family. Monuments: memorial tablet to Samuel Belcher,
d. 1760, on south wall of south chancel chapel, with broken-based
pediment. Black and white marble tablet to members of Belcher
family, d. between 1739 and 1819, on same wall, with draped urn
and Greek key pattern. Wall tablet to William Belcher, d. 1709,
to north wall of south chancel chapel, with cherub, scrolls,
cornice, urns and escutcheon. Chest tomb against north wall of
north chancel chapel bearing canopied brass to William Maydeston,
Knight, d. 1419. Draped cartouche to Francis Clerke Esq., d. 1691
above large chest tomb with moulded plinth and corniced lid, on
north wall between 2 north chapels. Uninscribed brass above the
tomb chest, moved from vestry 1913, probably of a knight,
d. 1442. Fine brass to Randulph Sentleger Esquire, d. 1470, and
wife Anne on floor of north-east nave chapel. Wall memorial
to Sir Francis Clerke, d. 1685, on north wall of north-east
nave chapel, finely carved, in black and white marble with
guilloche surround, flanked by Ionic columns, surmounted by
pediment with escutcheon. Associated with large chest tomb
below it. Memorial tablet to Lady Sarah Wandesforde,
d. 1838, by T. & E.Gaffin, on south wall of same chapel;
woman borne heavenward. Tablet to Marquess of Ormonde,
d. 1820 by J. Bacon Jun. & S.Manning, on same wall; mourner
with sarcophagus. A collegiate church from circa 1220 to
1293 (J.Newman, Op. Cit.).
Listing NGR: TQ8465949767
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings