History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sutton Valence School Block Erected 1910-1914

A Grade II Listed Building in Sutton Valence, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2146 / 51°12'52"N

Longitude: 0.5935 / 0°35'36"E

OS Eastings: 581234

OS Northings: 149348

OS Grid: TQ812493

Mapcode National: GBR QT7.T1C

Mapcode Global: VHJMN.7QMS

Entry Name: Sutton Valence School Block Erected 1910-1914

Listing Date: 18 December 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1060872

English Heritage Legacy ID: 174165

Location: Sutton Valence, Maidstone, Kent, ME17

County: Kent

District: Maidstone

Civil Parish: Sutton Valence

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Sutton Valence

Listing Text

SUTTON VALENCE MAIDSTONE ROAD
TQ 8049-8149
(east side)
7/145 Sutton Valence
School, Block erected
1910-1914,
II

School. 1910-14 by Adams, Holden and Pearson. Red brick in
English bond. South ends of wings stone on ground floor, tile-
hung above. Plain tile roofs. Courtyard plan, open to south,
with outward-turning south ends to side ranges and assembly
room projecting north from centre of north range. North range
2 storeys and attics with taller rectangular brick stair turret
of irregular outline to each end. East and west ranges 3 tall
storeys, and their south end ranges 3 lower storeys, all on
stone plinth. Flush bands of thin coursed tiles above ground
and first-floor windows. Plain parapet to north range. Parapet
with moulded wooden eaves cornice to south end ranges.
Asymmetrical gabling to south ends of side ranges, with broad
panelled terminal stacks. Ridge stack and gable end stack to
each turned end. 2 dormers to north range. 4-light wooden
cross windows; 7 to each side range, breaking eaves, and 9 to
north, central 3 within canted bay. 3 further single lights
to each end of north range. Lunette windows with stained glass
to assembly rooms. Various sets of panelled double doors.
Brick and tile vaulted passageway towards each end of north
range. Central leaded clock tower. Stone coat of arms above
central door. Interior not inspected. School founded 1576 by
William Lambe.


Listing NGR: TQ8123449348

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.