This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.242 / 51°14'31"N
Longitude: 0.6347 / 0°38'4"E
OS Eastings: 584001
OS Northings: 152495
OS Grid: TQ840524
Mapcode National: GBR QT2.595
Mapcode Global: VHJMN.Y1DR
Entry Name: Church of St Margaret
Listing Date: 26 April 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1060942
English Heritage Legacy ID: 174030
Location: Broomfield and Kingswood, Maidstone, Kent, ME17
Civil Parish: Broomfield and Kingswood
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
BROOMFIELD LOWER BROOMFIELD
TQ 85 SW ROAD
2/13 Church of
26.4.68 St. Margaret
Parish Church. Late C11 or C12, and C15, restored 1879 by
G.M. Hill, Roughly coursed stone with plain tile roof. West
porch, west tower, nave, and chancel with north vestry.
West porch: late C19. Stone. Frieze of leaded lights on either
side, with diamond wood mullions. Broad pointed-arched wood
architrave with hollow spandrels to ribbed door. Cusped barge-
boards. Moulded C15 two-centred-arched stone inner doorway
with trefoiled spandrels and partly renewed squared moulded
hoodmould. West tower: C15. Two stages, on moulded stone
plinth, with battlements above moulded string. Trefoil-
headed louvres with squared hoodmoulds to each side of belfry.
Small 2-light west window with trefoil-headed lights, cavetto
mullions and squared hoodmould. Nave: late C11 or C12. South
elevation of uncoursed stone, plinthless, with 2 buttresses
and two C19 trefoil-headed lights. Chancel: 1879, of coursed
galletted stone. Plinthless. C19 windows. 2 rainwater heads
dated 1879. Re-set plaque above east window: "This chancel
was rebuilt by Mrs Susanna Meredith of Leeds Abbey Anno Domini
MDCCXLIX". North vestry: C19. Gabled, with trefoil-headed
lights and hollow-chamfered east doorway. Nave: north
elevation: roughly coursed stone. Plinthless, with one buttress.
Chamfered, rebated lancet towards east end with short narrow
blocked round-headed window beside it to west. 2-light C15
window towards centre, with cinquefoil-headed lights, cavetto
mullions and squared moulded hood-mould. Small blocked ogee-
headed window towards west, head formed from 2 blocks of
stone. Interior: Structure: aisleless nave. C15 chancel arch
with casement mouldings and one short attached shaft either
side with moulded capital and base. Similar tower arch. Broad
pointed-arched recess with low cill on either side of nave
towards east end. Roof: 2 tall moulded crown-posts to nave,
probably medieval, on moulded medieval tie-beams with later
brattishing. Ashlar pieces. C19 crown-post roof to chancel.
[J. Newman, Buildings of England Series, West Kent and The
Listing NGR: TQ8385552452
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings