This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2154 / 51°12'55"N
Longitude: 0.5822 / 0°34'55"E
OS Eastings: 580439
OS Northings: 149414
OS Grid: TQ804494
Mapcode National: GBR PRW.Q0V
Mapcode Global: VHJMN.1QM4
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 26 April 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1060948
English Heritage Legacy ID: 174049
Location: Chart Sutton, Maidstone, Kent, ME17
Civil Parish: Chart Sutton
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
CHART SUTTON CHURCH ROAD
7/32 St. Michael
Parish church. C14, rebuilt except tower 1779-82 by Henry
Holland, altered 1897-8. Tower irregular blocks of roughly
coursed stone. Small blocks of evenly coursed and galletted
stone to rest of church. Slate roof to nave. Plain tile roof
to chancel and chapels. West tower with south porch. Broad
nave, partly extending round tower. Chancel with north and
south transeptal chapels. Tower: C14, with belfry partly
rebuilt. Unstaged on low battered plinth with north-west and
south-west angle buttresses. Brick-dressed belfry lights with
segmental heads. Small chamfered rectangular light below
belfry to north and south. West window of 2 ogee-headed
cinquefoiled lights with sub-cusped ogival. Moulded 2-centred
arched west doorway with continuous rib. South porch: C19 with
angle buttresses, and 2-centred arched doorway. Nave: Late C18
altered 1897-8. South elevation: No plinth. Tooled stone
eaves band, carried round gable ends. Projecting eaves with
flat soffits. Three C19 windows alternating with buttresses.
East end bay of south elevation retains late C18 blocked 4-
centred arched doorway with quatrefoil above, both with raised
tooled stone architraves. South chapel: 1897-8. Built at
right-angles to chancel, with plinth and angle buttresses.
2-light window and 2-centred arched doorway to south.
Chancel: 1897-8, with plinth and angle buttresses. No south
windows. 1897 consecration stone. 4-light east window.
North chapel: 1897-8. As south but without door.
Nave: north elevation: Four C19 windows alternating with
buttresses. Late C18 west lancet with raised tooled surround.
Interior: structure: broad aisle-less nave. C14 tower arch
with pointed arch of 3 chamfered orders and attached semi-
octagonal shafts with moulded capitals and bases. C19 chancel
arch and chancel arcades. Scientific king-post roof to nave.
Fittings: Royal arms to south-west end of nave. 2 benefactors
boards under tower. Further board under tower giving dates
of destruction and rebuilding of church 1779-82. Plaque stating
chancel re-opened 1898. Monuments: small marble tablet on
south wall of nave to Francis Robins, d.1720, with moulded plinth
on gadrooned consoles and moulded cornice with shield. Small
marble tablet on north wall of nave commemorating monuments to
John Smyth, d.1732, and members of Smyth family, destroyed
during fire of 1779. (J. Newman, B.O.E., West Kent and The
Listing NGR: TQ8043949414
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings