This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2361 / 51°14'9"N
Longitude: 0.7159 / 0°42'57"E
OS Eastings: 589689
OS Northings: 152048
OS Grid: TQ896520
Mapcode National: GBR QT6.FTJ
Mapcode Global: VHKK5.C698
Entry Name: Honeywood
Listing Date: 20 October 1952
Last Amended: 14 December 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1060976
English Heritage Legacy ID: 173915
Location: Lenham, Maidstone, Kent, ME17
Civil Parish: Lenham
Built-Up Area: Lenham
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
LENHAM HIGH STREET
TQ 8952 (north side)
10/180 No. 56 (Honeywood)
20.10.52. as High House)
House. 1621 for Anthony Honeywood. Timber framed with plaster
infilling and plain tile roof. Part of ground floor of side
elevations refaced in brick. Compactly symmetrical lobby
entry house of 3 bays, including acentral stack bay. 2 storeys
and attics, on plinth. Close-studded, with rendered attic gable
to each outer bay of front elevation and to each side elevation.
First floor and all attic gables jettied, with moulded bressumers.
Gables have carved bargeboards with pendants. Central brick
ridge stack with moulded plinth and 6 octagonal flues. Ovolo-
moulded mullion windows throughout; one small 2-light window
towards top of each attic gable, one 3-light window to central
bay on first floor, one rectangular mullioned and transomed oriel
of 10 lights to left bay, and one of 8 lights to right bay, with
a 2-light frieze window on either side of each oriel. Ground-
floor oriels follow the same pattern. All jetties and 1st floor oriels have
carved brackets, some with grotesques. Central ribbed door.
Small brick panels under ground-floor oriels inscribed "AH"
and "1621". Interior: moulded architraves to doors, with finely-
carved chamfer-stops. Side purlin roof with collars. Exposed
timbers. Originally residence of Governor of the Honeywood
Charity, founded by Anthony Honeywood in 1621. Almshouses lie to
east, (not listed). ( J. Newman: West Kent and the Weald, 1980
Listing NGR: TQ8969252049
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings