This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.1364 / 51°8'11"N
Longitude: 1.0358 / 1°2'8"E
OS Eastings: 612476
OS Northings: 141846
OS Grid: TR124418
Mapcode National: GBR TZR.QPD
Mapcode Global: VHKKQ.WPYN
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 29 December 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1061070
English Heritage Legacy ID: 175681
Location: Stowting, Shepway, Kent, TN25
Civil Parish: Stowting
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 14 SW STOWTING
1/103 Church of St Mary
Parish church. C13. Chancel restored 1843-4 by Carpenter, rest 1876 and
1890. North aisle and tower added 1857-68 by Slater. Flint, with stone
dressings. Plain tile roof. Nave, south porch, chancel with north lean-to,
north aisle with west tower. Nave: C13. No plinth. Small lancet window
to west gable end, above eaves level, with two C19 lancets below. Blocked
pointed-arched hollow-chamfered west doorway with broach stops. 3 windows
to south; one C19 two-light window, one restored C15 window with three
cinquefoil-headed lights and squared hoodmould, and one restored trefoiled
lancet. Porch: C14 or C15, largely rebuilt in C19. Timber framed, with
rendered infilling, on C19 flint plinth. C19 bargeboards. C19 pointed-
arched outer and inner doorways. Medieval moulded octagonal crown-post,
moulded tie-beam and wall post. Chancel: C13, with C19 plinth. North-east
and south-east angle buttresses. 2 restored south, and one north, lancets.
3-light C19 east window in a C14 style. C19 lean-to to west. North Aisle:
C19. Lean-to. No plinth. Three paired trefoil-headed lancets. Tower: C19.
Two stages on flint plinth. Diagonal buttresses. Lancet windows. West
doorway. Stone and flint chimney stack in re-entrant angle with nave.
Interior: structure: restored 3-bay nave arcade in a C14 style, with
doubly-chamfered pointed arches and moulded octagonal columns. Moulded
pointed-arched C19 chancel arch. Fittings: late C17 or early C18 altar
rails with twisted balusters and enriched and moulded rail. Stained glass:
early C14 Virgin and Child to north-east window of aisle, in vivid green,
gold and red. Complete design of c. 1460 to C15 south window of nave,
depicting three saints and three groups of kneeling donors. Monuments: draped
cartouche to north wall of chancel, with shields above and below, to Thomas
Jenkin, d. 1698. (J. Newman, B.O.E. Series, North-East and East Kent, 1983).
Listing NGR: TR1201742608
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings