History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Belle Vue House belle Vue House and Flats

A Grade II Listed Building in Lympne, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0773 / 51°4'38"N

Longitude: 1.0106 / 1°0'38"E

OS Eastings: 610982

OS Northings: 135196

OS Grid: TR109351

Mapcode National: GBR SZ5.J9W

Mapcode Global: FRA F608.MJS

Entry Name: Belle Vue House belle Vue House and Flats

Listing Date: 10 October 1974

Last Amended: 15 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1061111

English Heritage Legacy ID: 175580

Location: Lympne, Shepway, Kent, CT21

County: Kent

District: Shepway

Civil Parish: Lympne

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Westenhanger

Listing Text


TR13 NW LYMPNE ALDINGTON ROAD
(North Side)

3/4 Belle-Vue House and
10.10.74 Flats (formerly
listed as Lympne
Country Club)

II

House, formerly Country Club, now house and flats. Early C18, possibly
with earlier core. Alterations and additions 1909. Front elevation
roughly coursed stone with brick window dressings to ground floor, red
brick with vitreous headers in a mixed bond toX first floor. Right return
elevation stone to ground floor, red brick in Flemish bond above. Plain
tile roof. 2 storeys on stone plinth. Right return elevation has brick
plat band and dentilled brick eaves cornice. Hipped roof, right hip
returning. Rear stacks to left and right. Central brick ridge stack and
2 gable end stacks to right. Irregular fenestration of 5 slightly-recessed
sashes; one 12-pane, one 8-pane, one wood mullion window comprising two
12-pane sashes, and two tripartite sashes. Similar ground-floor windows,
but 1909 bow windows under tripartite sashes. Splayed rectangular window
with 2 iron bars to left gable end (ground floor). Half-glazed door under
stack with moulded rounded hood on consoles and with panelled architrave.
Datestone 1706 over door (possibly re-set). Short rear return wing to
right, with panelled door of 1909 under Doric porch. Later rear range
parallel to front. C19 rear service wing to left. Doric colonnades of
1909 to garden front. Interior: partly inspected. Fragments of C18
cornice and panelling. Staggered butt-purlin roof. General Sir John
Moore lived here while in command of troops training at Shorncliffe Camp
1803-1806.


Listing NGR: TR1098235196

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.