This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0285 / 51°1'42"N
Longitude: 0.9979 / 0°59'52"E
OS Eastings: 610315
OS Northings: 129738
OS Grid: TR103297
Mapcode National: GBR SZR.F3M
Mapcode Global: FRA D6ZD.GL0
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Listing Date: 9 June 1959
Last Amended: 23 April 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1061130
English Heritage Legacy ID: 175519
Location: Dymchurch, Shepway, Kent, TN29
Civil Parish: Dymchurch
Built-Up Area: Dymchurch
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 103 298 DYMCHURCH HIGH STREET
4/61 Church of St. Peter
and St. Paul
Parish Church. C12 and C13, restored in 1821. Stone, with rendered mortar.
Tower partly timber framed, with upper stage tile-hung. Slate roof to nave,
plain tiles to chancel, wood shingles to tower. Small west tower, nave,
south porch, chancel. West tower: 1821, built between 2 existing stone
buttresses at west end of nave. 2 stages with pyramidal tower. Rectangular
louvres to upper stage. C19 pointed-arched wooden casement to west, and
ribbed west door under flat bracketted hood. Inner doorway C12 with round-
headed arch of 3 orders (plain, fat roll and chevrons) springing from
square moulded abaci. Single shaft either side with scalloped cushion capital
and moulded base. Nave: no plinth. Rounded C19 kneelers. Two C19 south
windows in an early C15 style. South porch: 1910. Pebbledashed with
plain tile roof on moulded plinth. Moulded 2-centred arched outer doorway.
Inner doorway C12, similar to west doorway but with rows of small nailheads
visible within base moulding. Chancel: C12, east end possibly rebuilt in
1821. Single chamfered lancet-type light to north and to south. Similar
but broader light to east. Semi-octagonal north-east vestry of 1910 not
included. Nave: north elevation: 1821, with low plinth. Rendered
rectangular stack to east end. Two C19 windows in an early C15 style.
two C19 west windows to north of tower. Interior: structure: broad
aisle-less nave,widened to north in 1821. C12 chancel arch, plain to east,
decorated to west with fat roll and chevrons springing from square moulded
abaci, each surmounting single shaft with voluted cushion capital and
moulded base. Narrow tiles laid in herringbone pattern infilling archways
of south and west doorways. Roof: nave roof 1821, in 5 cants with 3
queen-post trusses. Chancel roof of common rafters and collars re-using
older ashlar-pieces. Fittings: no stoups or piscinae. Broad plain-
chamfered pointed-arched aumbry in east wall of nave to south of chancel
arch, linked to much taller, broad, hollow-chamfered opening, possibly a
sedile, in south wall of nave towards east end. Both have roll chamfer-stops.
The "sedile" has key-pattern wall-painting within head, with traces of
superimposed patterning. Font, medieval or C17, with circular bowl, octagonal
shaft, with fat roll to base above short cylinder with fins to a final
rectangular plinth, all with pronounced vertical tooling. Gallery of 1821
spanning west end on 5 rectangular Doric columns, with fielded panels,
and splat balusters to staircase in south-west corner. Royal Arms 1778 on
north wall of nave. Monuments: wall tablet on south wall of nave at east
end to Captain Timothy Bedingfeild, d.1693, and Mary his wife, d.1714; black
and white marble on moulded plinth with consoles, and moulded cornice
surmounted by emblem. (J. Newman, Buildings of England Series, West Kent
and the Weald, 1980).
Listing NGR: TR1034429640
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings