This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6982 / 52°41'53"N
Longitude: -0.9181 / 0°55'5"W
OS Eastings: 473210
OS Northings: 311714
OS Grid: SK732117
Mapcode National: GBR BPM.W5G
Mapcode Global: WHFKC.VFZW
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 1 January 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1061249
English Heritage Legacy ID: 189901
Location: Twyford and Thorpe, Melton, Leicestershire, LE14
Civil Parish: Twyford and Thorpe
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Twyford St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SK 71 SW TWYFORD AND THORPE CHURCH WALK
1.1.68 Church of
Parish church. Late C15. Chancel rebuilt c.1840. Restored and
refitted 1861 by H. Goddard. Restored and north transept,
bellcote and porch added 1869 by R. W. Johnson. Coursed and
squared ironstone and limestone ashlar with ashlar dressings and
Swithland slate roofs. Plinth, coped gables, coped and gabled
lateral stack. Nave and chancel under continuous roof, north
transept, south porch. West end has a large central buttress
flanked by single corner buttresses. Above, a moulded gabled
single bell turret with cross. South side has to the east a
buttress flanked by single late C15 plain double lancets with
flat heads. Beyond, to west of the porch, a C19 double lancet
with flat head. North side has an off-centre buttress flanked on
each side by a late C15 plain double lancet with flat heads.
Chancel east end has a Decorated triple lancet with hood mould
and stops, 1861. North transept has coped east gable with cross
and 2 flanking buttresses and a Geometrical triple lancet with
hood mould and mask stops. West side has a late C15 plain double
lancet with flat head. East side has a restored roll moulded C14
doorway. South porch has 2 flanking buttresses and gable with
cross. Double chamfered and rebated doorway with hood mould and
stops and a pair of wooden gates. In each side, a single
chamfered lancet. Porch interior has common rafter roof. South
doorway, late C15, has moulded elliptical head and restored hood
mould. Church interior has C19 roofs with arch braces on corbels
and moulded double purlins. Chancel north side has to east a C19
aumbry. East end has a stained glass window, 1890, by Winfield.
Fittings of 1861 include octagonal oak pulpit, stalls with
poppyheads, roll top benches, 2 prayer desks and low chancel
screen. C15 style octagonal font, C19, with panelled bowl.
Monuments include wooden war memorial plaque and roll of honour,
1919, and 2 C20 brasses.
Listing NGR: SK7321011714
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.