This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7622 / 52°45'43"N
Longitude: -0.8255 / 0°49'31"W
OS Eastings: 479348
OS Northings: 318936
OS Grid: SK793189
Mapcode National: GBR CQ9.VGF
Mapcode Global: WHFK1.9T4S
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 1 January 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1061258
English Heritage Legacy ID: 189812
Location: Freeby, Melton, Leicestershire, LE14
Civil Parish: Freeby
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Saxby with Stapleford and Wyfordby
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SK 71 NE FREEBY MAIN STREET
5/40 Church of St.Mary
Parish church. C13 and C14. Restored 1869. Further restored,
1965. Coursed and squared ironstone with limestone ashlar
dressings and lead and slate roofs. Coped gables with gabled
kneelers. West tower, nave with clerestory, north and south
aisles, chancel. West tower, C13, 3 stages, has double chamfered
plinth, 3 string courses, chamfered eaves with 4 gargoyles,
crenellated parapet and 4 pinnacles. First stage has to south
and west a single chamfered lancet. Second stage has no
openings. Bell stage has 4 cusped double lancet bell openings
with hood moulds. Clerestory, 3 bays, has on each side, 3 late
C14 untraceried ogee double lancets with flat heads and hood
moulds. North aisle, 2 bays, has to north an off-centre
chamfered C13 doorway with hood mould, restored, flanked by
single late C14 ogee Decorated lancets with flat heads. East end
has mid C19 ogee Decorated triple lancet with reticulated
tracery. All the north aisle windows have hood moulds and stops.
South aisle, 3 bays, has unusual reticulated round headed triple
lancet at east end. South side has an off-centre C19 doorway.
chamfered and with moulded imposts, flanked by single C19 double
lancets. All openings have hood moulds and stops. Chancel, 2
bays, has to north, 2 Decorated double lancets. East end has mid
C19 reticulated triple lancet. South side has 2 C19 Decorated
double lancets. All these windows have hood moulds and stops.
Interior has double chamfered and rebated dying tower arch, C13.
Tower chamber west window has C19 stained glass. North arcade, 3
bays, has octagonal piers and responds with water holding bases.
C13 south arcade has round piers with keeled responds. Both
arcades have double chamfered and rebated arches. C19 low
pitched roof with arch braces and wall shafts on large foliate
corbels. North aisle has to east a rebated aumbry. South aisle
east end has a C13 cusped, chamfered piscina. Both aisles have
C19 stop chamfered plain roofs. Chancel has late C13 double
chamfered and rebated arch with conical imposts, and chamfered
sill band. North side has to east, a rebated square aumbry.
East end has stained glass memorial window c.1918. South side
has to east a large cusped, chamfered C13 piscina. C19 principal
rafter roof with arch braces and traceried spandrels. Fittings
include octagonal late C14 font with cusped arcaded bowl and
corner shafts. Softwood stalls and benches, octagonal oak pulpit
on ashlar base, and wooden lectern, all mid C19. 7 restored
pendant oil lamps. Memorials include a marble and slate war
memorial tablet, 1919, and a cross, 1907.
Listing NGR: SK7934818936
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings