This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2721 / 51°16'19"N
Longitude: 0.1809 / 0°10'51"E
OS Eastings: 552225
OS Northings: 154814
OS Grid: TQ522548
Mapcode National: GBR MN3.4KG
Mapcode Global: VHHPS.29Z3
Entry Name: 50, Oakhill Road
Listing Date: 6 June 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1061356
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489538
Location: Sevenoaks, Sevenoaks, Kent, TN13
Civil Parish: Sevenoaks
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Kippington St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
661/0/10023 OAKHILL ROAD
Lodge, later house. Designed in 1937 by the firm of Baillie Scott and Beresford for E A Mitchell Esq. It was the lodge to a house called Tylers in Kippington Road by the same firm of architects. Later C20 extensions to the rear are not of special interest. A late example of the Arts and Crafts style. Rendered brickwork with tiled roof and central brick chimneystack. Asymmetrical building of two storeys with mainly wooden casements of six-panes but mullioned window with leaded lights to porch.
EXTERIOR: East elevation facing the street has a central gable with plain kneelers with a four-light casement with cambered head to first floor and a two-light casement to right hand side of ground floor. Entrance in north front facing drive to Tylers. This has a catslide roof interrupted in the centre by a narrow gabled stair turret with kneelers with a first floor casement and decorative metal footscaper. To left is a penticed porch with tiled gable facing east, partially chamfered door surround, plank door with iron hinges and two-light wooden mullioned window with leaded lights facing east. Later C20 flat hood. To the right of the stair turret is a dormer window lighting the landing and a ground floor window lighting the service end. The south elevation has a right side projecting gable with four-light window to first floor and three-light window and doorcase with plank door below and right side three-light window to ground floor. The west elevation has a gable with two-light casement to the first floor but the ground floor has been obscured by a large later C20 brick flat roofed extension.
INTERIOR: The living room has a large open fireplace with brick surround and wooden bressumer with shelf and central beam. The parlour has a similar beam and angled fireplace. There is a dogleg half-winder staircase with wooden supports and plastered infill to balustrading.
[Original plans of September 1937 for Sevenoaks Urban District Council survive 188/37.]
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings