This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5135 / 51°30'48"N
Longitude: -0.1402 / 0°8'24"W
OS Eastings: 529148
OS Northings: 181040
OS Grid: TQ291810
Mapcode National: GBR DC.PM
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.J772
Entry Name: The Clachan Public House
Listing Date: 8 July 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1061360
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489587
Location: Westminster, London, W1B
District: City of Westminster
London Borough Ward: West End
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Anne Soho
Church of England Diocese: London
1900/0/10298 KINGLY STREET
The Clachan Public House
Public House, 1898, designer unknown. Red brick with extensive pale cream limestone dressings, grey granite facing to lower part of ground floor facades, copper-sheathed roof to angle turret.
EXTERIOR: Exuberant 'Free Renaissance' exterior on corner site, of three storeys with attic. Three bay main west elevation. Ground floor with central entrance comprising paired glazed doors set between granite pilasters with stylized Ionic capitals; large window to left over sloping granite dado; former angled entrance lobby to right, with mosaic decoration to threshold spelling out pub's name, and tiled decoration to wall. All glass to ground floor appears to be of a modern date and is plain: two or three-pane overlights to doors and windows, with narrow glazing bars. Fascia band at first floor level set between moulded consoles. First floor west elevation with single window over central entrance, six-light mullioned windows either side, all with flanking stylized Ionic capitals; heavy keystones over centres of side windows set against panels of acanthus decoration which form aprons to second floor side windows; these are paired arched casement windows with keystones, set between pilasters, with a pair of carved heads set against a foliate background in the spandrels above. The similar but single central window has lozenge decoration to the apron. Balustrade to parapet; mansard roof to attic with a pair of dormer windows flanking a projecting oval window with keystone, flanking scrolls and pediment. Entrance at north-west corner: arched doorway set between pilasters; pub name in affixed metal letters against acanthus leaf decoration above, with date of 1898 over. Projecting corner turret above in the French Renaissance style, with acanthus leaf decoration to oriel base, triple rectangular windows set between pilasters at second floor level, triple windows to top level beneath dentil cornice; domed roof with tall finial. North elevation similar to west, but with two storey bay at east end with triple doors, set beneath a framed inscription panel bearing the pub's name; part-concealed mosaic to threshold with pub's name inside door.
INTERIOR: retains numerous fittings of note. Bar counter and elaborate back bar of mahogany, with cut glass mirror enrichment, in centre of ground floor. Raised snug at rear. Cast iron columns carry centre of coffered ceiling, which is covered with raised decoration. Stairs to first floor with square moulded balusters. First floor front room retains chimneypiece, panelled dado, raised decoration to ceiling. Upper floors, formerly publican's accommodation, retain numerous original fittings such as staircase, joinery, fireplaces.
HISTORY: a good example of a Late Victorian 'Gin Palace', retaining its principal bar fixtures. Its elaborate decoration reflects its West End location and the heated competition between rival pubs for custom at this time. A 'clachan' is the Gaelic for a hamlet.
Other nearby listed buildings