This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4895 / 51°29'22"N
Longitude: -0.1051 / 0°6'18"W
OS Eastings: 531652
OS Northings: 178425
OS Grid: TQ316784
Mapcode National: GBR NN.J7
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.4T8K
Entry Name: The Old Red Lion Public House
Listing Date: 8 July 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1061361
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489588
Location: Lambeth, London, SE11
Electoral Ward/Division: Prince's
Built-Up Area: Lambeth
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: North Lambeth
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 12/06/2018
KENNINGTON PARK ROAD,
42-44, The Old Red Lion Public House
Public house and off licence. Built 1933 on the site of an earlier public house of c1750. Tudorbethan style. Front elevation has eclectic timber framing with plastered infill, sides brick in English bond with tiled roof, two red brick clustered chimneystacks to left and stock brick chimneystack to right. Nos. 42 and 43, the public house, are of two storeys attics and basement: two windows. No 44, the off licence, is of one storey one bay.
EXTERIOR: Attic storey of nos. 42 and 43 projects and has central gable with bargeboards and carved band above two four-light casements, supported on lion-shaped brackets painted red. Remainder of attic floor has pattern of arches underneath the windows and wooden bracket with hanging sign. First floor also has two four-light casements. Ground floor has projecting bar front with two arched windows with frosted stained glass and stall risers with brick nogging and three entrances, the right side to upper floors, the central and left to public and saloon bars, with rectangular fanlights and two-centred arched oak doors. No. 44 to the left was the off licence. One storey brick with penticed slate roof. Shop front with twelve arches above, six arches below, stall risers of brick incorporating some tiles on edge and recessed arched doorcase with rectangular fanlight.
INTERIOR: Intact interior with two bars, public and saloon, running the full depth of the property and staircase to right hand side. Adzed oak ceiling and wall frame beams, oak panelled internal porches, three Tudor-style fireplace surrounds with metal hoods and twisted brick piers, original lantern style lighting, bar counters with four-centred arches and decorated spandrels, heraldic shields, a built-in picture depicting the landing of Bonnie Prince Charlie in Scotland, original doors throughout and original cream and black tiles and fittings to lavatories.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings