This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5723 / 51°34'20"N
Longitude: -0.1984 / 0°11'54"W
OS Eastings: 524952
OS Northings: 187473
OS Grid: TQ249874
Mapcode National: GBR C4.NMX
Mapcode Global: VHGQK.HRZ1
Entry Name: The Promenade
Listing Date: 9 July 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1061366
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489600
Location: Barnet, London, NW11
Electoral Ward/Division: Childs Hill
Built-Up Area: Barnet
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Alban the Martyr Golders Green
Church of England Diocese: London
31/0/10415 GOLDERS GREEN ROAD
09-JUL-02 Golders Green
25-89 & 91-103
The Promenade, 25-103 Golders Green Road. 1909- by Herbert A. Welch (1884-1953) with T. Clifford Hollis. Parade of shops in form of a curving terrace, with flats above. Red brick, stone and timber dressings, tiled roof, copper-sheathed finials and dome, cast iron railings, granite pilasters between shop fronts. Three storeys. English Renaissance style.
EXTERIORS: long terrace with shops to ground floors, divided into three main sections: Nos.25-45 with upper floors projecting to street line; Nos.47-73 with upper floors recessed behind cast iron railings; Nos. 75-103 to street line. Most windows are 6/6-pane sashes. All shop fronts altered or hidden, apart from No.75; dividing pilasters of grey granite, with scrolled consoles above. South-eastern end, No.25, with banded rustication to quoins, cartouche at second floor level, eaves cornice with balustraded parapet, prominent chimneystack bearing date of 1909, domed roof on square podium with diagonally set paired columns to corners. Up to No.47, the terraces comprises three-bay fronts with keystones, punctuated by projecting gabled fronts with oriel windows to Nos. 31 and 37, which sport stone quoins, stone fronts to the oriels, festoon decoration to the gables. No. 43 has a shouldered gable with a round window to centre; three-bay front with central bay set within a golden stone surround. No.45 with twin painted oriels topped with conical lead roofs, hourglass motif to window within shaped gable; tall stacks, canted angle bay to right. Terrace is recessed from No.47 to 73: cast iron railings run along parapet with walkway behind; first floors comprise alternating canted bays with panelled, part-glazed front doors; 6/6-pane sashes to second floor, 3 bays per house; modillion cornice; dormer windows set into mansard roof. Wooden sign reading 'The PROMENADE' affixed to No.47. Doorway between No.57 and 59 leads to tile-lined staircase. No.75 and rest of terrace aligned with street line. No.75, retaining original shopfront, has projecting single bay tower to left with brick quoins and an upswept tiled roof. Nos.77, 85, 91 and 99 are pedimented and slightly projecting, with shallow canted fronts; the intermediate houses are slightly recessed, with three bay fronts and with shallow segmental pediments at eaves level to the central houses in each section. Archway of yellow stone between No.87 and 89 leads to terrazzo staircase to upper level. Endmost house, No.103, with canted corner, gable end to return flanked by tall chimneystacks, the right-handmost with a canted, tile-hung oriel window over doorway, with a thermal window above.
INTERIORS: not inspected. Ground floors mainly much altered.
HISTORY: a notable parade of Edwardian shops, forming a key part of the heart of Golders Green. The architects of The Promenade had worked in the office of Parker and Unwin, designers of much of Hampstead Garden Suburb, and were influenced by the latter's designs for comparable blocks on Finchley Road. The Promenade was designed in a richly detailed 'English Wrennaisance' style which drew on a range of period sources, in particular the Queen Anne style.
Other nearby listed buildings