This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0619 / 51°3'42"N
Longitude: -1.3147 / 1°18'52"W
OS Eastings: 448120
OS Northings: 129400
OS Grid: SU481294
Mapcode National: GBR 861.BG1
Mapcode Global: FRA 8649.TXS
Entry Name: 5-6, the Square
Listing Date: 11 July 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1061373
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489607
Location: Winchester, Hampshire, SO23
District Council Ward: St Michael
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Winchester St Lawrence with St Swithun-upon-Kingsgate
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
869/0/10064 THE SQUARE
Pair of houses, converted into dispensary; now offices. Circa late C18; converted into dispensary 1875; converted into offices 1983. Stuccoed. Clay plain tile hipped roof behind parapet. Rendered end stacks.
PLAN: Pair of 3-bay houses, converted into dispensary and later into offices.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, attic and cellar. 3:3 bay south front with moulded string courses and moulded cornice and blocking course, rusticated quoins; 4-pane sashes with keyblocks; two C20 dormers. North front similar, but with tripartite ground floor sashes in rusticated architraves, first floor windows in moulded architraves, centre right blocked and doorway to left with panelled door.
INTERIOR remodelled in 1983 as offices, but retaining servants' winder stairs at west end with stick balusters.
NOTE: This pair of late Georgian houses was converted in 1875 into The Winchester Provident Dispensary and the interior remodelled as offices in 1983.
Externally, an imposing pair of late C18 houses and in spite internal alterations the exterior has considerable townscape and group value in the centre of Winchester facing the Cathedral.
Other nearby listed buildings