This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.7529 / 52°45'10"N
Longitude: -1.3692 / 1°22'9"W
OS Eastings: 442672
OS Northings: 317443
OS Grid: SK426174
Mapcode National: GBR 7JG.GMT
Mapcode Global: WHDHT.Y25C
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 30 May 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1061386
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489626
Location: North West Leicestershire, Leicestershire, LE67
District: North West Leicestershire
Town: North West Leicestershire
Electoral Ward/Division: Thringstone
Built-Up Area: Coalville
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Thringstone St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
52/0/10010 MAIN STREET
Church of St Andrew
Church. 1862. By James Piers St.Aubyn. Leicestershire granite rubble with sandstone dressings and plain tile roof. Early English style with buttresses with set-offs. Nave and chancel in one with east end apse, apse to north-east vestry, transepts and south-west porch. East apse has 3 lancets, and the vestry apse a single lancet. North vestry door. Transept windows are triple lancets with simple rose above. Lancets to nave sides. West end has 2 lancets with rose window in gable. Porch (of 1911) has moulded doorway with hood mould and coped gable with finial. Small bellcote on nave roof.
INTERIOR. East lancets have stained glass of 1881 by FA Oldaker of Epsom. Choir stalls. 3 further stained glass windows in the nave of 1917 and 1920 by Kempe and Co. Roof of scissor trusses supported on braces rising from stone corbels and 2 tiers of purlins with windbraces. Set of benches in nave and simple drum font at west end.
HISTORY. The church was built to serve Thringstone in the parish of Whitwick through the zeal of Rev. Francis Merewether, partly to counteract what he perceived as a Roman Catholic revival in the parish begun by the foundation of Mount St Bernard's Abbey (qv), designed by Pugin. St.Andrew's, a well-designed though much smaller building, is in an equally austere style, and also carefully utilises the local granite.
Other nearby listed buildings