This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0965 / 52°5'47"N
Longitude: -2.5678 / 2°34'4"W
OS Eastings: 361198
OS Northings: 244390
OS Grid: SO611443
Mapcode National: GBR FS.B1N4
Mapcode Global: VH85K.FKVP
Entry Name: Grove Cottage
Listing Date: 23 July 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1061393
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489633
Location: Yarkhill, County of Herefordshire, HR8
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Yarkhill
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Yarkhill
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
1088/0/10004 CREW'S PITCH
Cottage. Late C17/early C18. Timber frame on stone plinth, in square framing 3 panels high; C19 brick nogging to front, original wattle and daub to rear; Welsh slate roof; C19 brick flue to rubble exterior stack to left.
Plan: 2-unit plan, the entrance direct into a heated room to the left with an unheated chamber with corner stairs to the right.
Exterior: One storey and attic; 2-window front. One C20 plank door, with 2-light window immediately to left and two similar casements to right. Right gable end has remains of original 2-light chamfered wood-mullioned window to attic.
Interior: chamfered ground-floor beams, with wattle and daub infill on both floors to central partition. Open fireplace to left with carved brackets to original spitrack on left above bressummer, the fireplace itself being partly infilled for a late C19 cast-iron range. The room on the right, which had a partition inserted in the later C19 for a pantry on the right, has a quarter-turn stair with C189 newel and handrail morticed into original upright of original winder stair. First floor has oak floorboards, trenched purlins to queen-post truss and original plank door with oak latch.
Grove Cottage presents itself as a remarkably intact example of a 2-room cottage of the decades around 1700, typical of this Welsh Borders region in that it displays a late essay in traditional timber frame, executed in timbers of substantial proportions which retain carpentry marks.
Other nearby listed buildings