This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5112 / 51°30'40"N
Longitude: -0.1452 / 0°8'42"W
OS Eastings: 528807
OS Northings: 180769
OS Grid: TQ288807
Mapcode National: GBR CD.KG
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.F8LW
Entry Name: 10-38, Bourdon Street
Listing Date: 23 July 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1061394
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489634
Location: Westminster, London, W1K
District: City of Westminster
Electoral Ward/Division: West End
Built-Up Area: City of Westminster
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St George, Hanover Square
Church of England Diocese: London
1900/0/10305 BOURDON STREET
10-38 Bourdon Street. Row of 10 stables with accommodation above, with a former horse-shoeing premises, now mews houses. 1889-1900 by Jonathan Andrews of Mount Street, builder, possibly to the designs of Horace J. Helsdon. No.28-30A by T.H. Watson, 1890-92. Red brick, red sandstone dressings, tiled roofs.
EXTERIOR: Two storeys with gabled attics. Mainly three windows wide. Row articulated in three sections: 10-20, 28-30, 32-38, comprising two groups of mews-like stables flanking the former horse-shoeing premises. Ground floors generally with central entrances flanked by double doors, with two or three registers of upper lights, and with hinges mainly inscribed 'Cottam. Compy. London'. First floor arch-headed windows with aprons and keystones; casement windows with eight-pane top lights. Projecting pilaster strips to party walls terminate in ball finials. Moulded cornice interrupted by loft doors, many retaining projecting hoists above, with flanking decorative wrought iron panels. Triangular gables terminate in small pediments carried on scrolls. Elevation to Nos. 28-30A differs from the remainder, having moulded stone surrounds to ground floor openings, triple windows with segmental pediments and aprons to the first floor, with single plate glass sash windows between, and plain triangular pediments (wholly of brick) above the parapet.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORY: This picturesque row, designed in the Queen Anne style, forms a good survival of stable buildings serving the elegant residential area of Mayfair. They were built at the very end of the period of reliance upon horses, and were subsequently adapted for motor car use. No.28-30A was built for the Metropolitan Horse shoeing Company. A Westminster City Council plaque has been erected on No.30 to the photographer Terence Donovan (1936-96), who worked there in 1978-96.
SOURCES: Survey of London vol. XL (1980), 59.
Other nearby listed buildings